Antalya to a trainline- by bus....
Would this go over snowy mountains at this time of year does anyone know? I will have 2 kids with me and don't really fancy treacherous weather. Avoiding the plane as we were caught in a thunderstorm shortly after Christmas....

Destination is Istanbul- so I know there is a train from Denizli. Looks like we are closer to Isparta or Burdur but don't know what the trains are like from there. Does anyone know what our bus links to those places would be and what their train links are like.

TIA

I have never traveled by train. I think that the closest train to İstanbul is from Denizli. I am sure that you can catch an overnight sleeper train from Denizli

Buses from Antalya to Isparta,Burdur and Denizli run frequently.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Antalya is surrounded by mountains so any road journey will mean going over them.

You'd probably be far better off taking a direct bus from Antalya to Istanbul than messing about with trains from Burdur, Isparta or Denizli.

Last edited:

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Trains are very slow in Turkey and its a long coach ride . Really with 2 kids its easer to fly , and far quicker too , ..If the weather is that bad they won't fly .. But its faster and safer for you , no different than the roads being slippy etc .........Diane

It may well have been safe but I did not appreciate being bumped around while people screamed!

Yeah, maybe you are right about the mountains- but I thought there may be a big road going through in the foothills? I have a 2yo and an 8yo and we would not get on well with a coach (2yo on my lap the whole night). I actually like the sleeper train I went on from Istanbul to Denizli.

Els

There are no big roads going through the foothills. The roads to Denizli, Burdur and Isparta all wind through the mountains and can be very icy sometimes in winter. We once drove to Denizli in winter and were slipping all over the place, no gritting or anything like that here! If you have a look at the railway map of Turkey here Map of Trains in Turkey
you will see that going via Burdur or Isparta is not a good move as it will probably mean changing trains at Afyon and Eskisehir. Considering that just the journey Eskisehir to Istanbul takes 5 1/2 hours by train, I think it would take you a long long time, probably even longer than by coach.

you will see that going via Burdur or Isparta is not a good move as it will probably mean changing trains at Afyon and Eskisehir. Considering that just the journey Eskisehir to Istanbul takes 5 1/2 hours by train, I think it would take you a long long time, probably even longer than by coach.

Looking at that link now, but the Lonely Planet says the Pamukkale Express istanbul - Denizli goes via Burdur....

I don't mind it taking longer than a bus. You have your own cabin and beds. There is a restaurant and you can walk around.

I am concerned about the roads. Its a 2ish hour trip, I gather, but I don't fancy slipping along the ice.

Looks like that train is not running until the summer....? Oh.

Last edited by a moderator:

nomaderol

Denizli - Burdur train is another train. Changing train may take time.
If you dont like long bus travel (but, still takes shorter time by bus than train as you will have to be transferred from bus station to train station), then, I can recommoned Pamukkale Express from Denizli to Istanbul. It has a restaurant you can eat and drink Efes. Cushion seats are comfortable enough. But, if you prefer to sleep like in a bed, sleeping compartments have 6 beds. I sometimes bought all 6 tickets and closed the curtain on the door after first ticket check. Then, it is very luxury travel if you also bring your meal and efes, etc. It will be like a baby in craddle. If timetable of Pamukkale Express dont fit, check TCDD - TURKISH STATE RAILWAYS , then, there is Meram Express from Konya to Istanbul which too has a restaurant and sleeping rooms. Konya - Antalya road is less mountainy. There is another train from Konya to Istanbul, Mavi Train, but, this hadnt had a restaurant, but, faster express than Meram.

Since you can find bus from Antalya to Denizli or to Konya easily anytime, you need to decide on train first. You can buy train ticket on their web site above online.

Hi there
I too have ridden the Pamukkale Express- but its my understanding that it isn't running any more and hasn't for some time....
Does anyone know if the Burdur or Isparta station are open and so perhaps there is another way? My friend does not want to fly- and I don't want to get the bus!

nomaderol

It seems there has been railway renewing process on this Denizli line after accident in 2008. So, the best choice is to go to Konya (4-5 hours by bus.) There are two trains from Konya to Istanbul: Meram (with restaurant, sleeping room, etc but, slower) and Mavi (only cushions, but, faster). If it were in summer, I would recommend you to go to Aksehir town. In summer, their bus goes through narrow mountain roads after Egridir, but, it takes 3 hours only. Meram and Mavi trains pass through Aksehir station.

It seems there has been railway renewing process on this Denizli line after accident in 2008. So, the best choice is to go to Konya (4-5 hours by bus.) There are two trains from Konya to Istanbul: Meram (with restaurant, sleeping room, etc but, slower) and Mavi (only cushions, but, faster). If it were in summer, I would recommend you to go to Aksehir town. In summer, their bus goes through narrow mountain roads after Egridir, but, it takes 3 hours only. Meram and Mavi trains pass through Aksehir station.

Thank you :) I will look into this. Will the Antalya to Konya buses still travel over snowy mountains, though?

ive been to konya in the snow many a time..in blizzard conditions..and the buses always managed..the roads are well gritted in spite of some comments ive seen to the contrary.

ive been to konya in the snow many a time..in blizzard conditions..and the buses always managed..the roads are well gritted in spite of some comments ive seen to the contrary.

Thank you. :) However I may feel very anxious with two young children.

Hi again Outstation42..have you made decision yet...travelling with young children is never easy and especially a long distance...i hope you will be ok good luck as the weather over Turkey has got much colder and snow is a big problem in some areas take care

LyndaW

İ travelled from Yalıkavak to Alanya 2 days ago. We took the mountain roads rather than the motorway and the roads were very well grıtted, which looks like the norm here in Turkey. The news last night showed lots of gritters out.
Save journey which ever form of transport you decıde.

Lynda

I think we may just have to stay here- unless the person we were to meet decides he can take the plane with us. Oh well.k

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments though. :)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom