angiesco

Antalya books
I read on another forum about a book shop in Antalya-Owl Books, in the Kalıçı area. I took a trip down there today and it wasn't there, or I couldn't find it.

Does anyone know of anywhere selling English books, either new or second hand. I also have some books that I could swap.

I know that the stationery shops sell some, but they tend to be rather expensive.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Angie.

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Antalya books
Hi Angie,

D&R are a chain of bookshops that sell English books but the range can vary from store to store. There are 3 branches in Antalya that i'm aware of: inside 5M Migros shopping mall next door to the cinema, inside the shopping mall at Lara and a much, much bigger store opened in the brand new Ozdilek shopping mall, which in my opinion has the most varied range of the 3 branches.

You can find directions to the shopping mall through their website if you are unaware of it's whereabouts.

ozdilekpark.com

What kind of books do you enjoy reading as i have a small collection of books that i could swap with you but i understand its a matter of personal taste!

Last edited:

val2661

Antalya books
Just a thought Angiesco, if you have a regular bar you go into, or know of a bar frequented by English people, ask if they'd start a book exchange. All you need is a bookcase and someone who would be willing to oversee any exchanges. I know Eden Bar in Oba, Alanya has one, and I find it a godsend.

Val

RIK

Antalya books
Hi Angie.Every year around November The International Women of Antalya have an Xmas Fair in the Conference Centre of The Talya Hotel Antalya.This year it will be Sunday November 29th and lots of English Books for sale at 1.5 / 2.00 TL each.Worth a visit.

Ian

angiesco

Antalya books
Hi Sasa, thanks fory your reply.

I tend not to be too choosey with what I read. Nothing overly powerful, if you know what I mean, just your average fiction type books really. I would gladly swap what I have if they are any use to you. I am of the reasoning that once you have read a book then that is it, no need to read again!LOL

Regards Angie.

Ps where are you Sasa, I am in doğu garajı

Antalya books
Angie
If you,re ever in Kaş we have loads of second hand books that we sell to raise money for the TNR programme for the street animals, but we would be more than willing to do a swap.

Soo x

angiesco

Antalya books
Thanks Ian, It hadn't occured to me to look last year! Honestly, my brain-is it working? Also, thanks for letting us know the date, I have attended the past two years and my friend metioned it yesterday.

Regards Angie.

Last edited:

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Antalya books
...im over at Gursu Mah, just off Konyaalti beach.

Im still a bit of a newbie in Antalya so im not quite sure exactly where you are!

angiesco

Antalya books
LOL Sasa, far away, well for someone like me whose mode of transport is my legs! I have two kids and tend to avoid dolmuş trips if I can. But thanks anyway, it was kind of you to offer.

Angie.

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Antalya books
No probs Angie..don't worry, i wasn't expecting you to travel across Antalya for a few books!! Im in the same position as you with the 2 legs as transport but sometimes if im feeling brave enough i hop on a dolmus on the odd ocassion!

Give me a shout if you are ever in town and maybe we can meet up and do a swap there if thats more reasonable for you..

Otherwise i might wait until November and bump into you at the Talya Hotel as i def will attend the Christmas fair..:0)

may

Antalya books
Hi the last time I was in kipa in Alanya they had a basket with english books in. Maybe you have a local kipa near you.

Elvira

Antalya books
There will be a huge amount of books for sale this year at the Bazaar (Talya hotel) as a member of The Women's Club has had to give up her flat and move into a Nursing home and she donated them all to us.

There is also a large library at ' Paul's Place' in Kaleici.It is a library run by St Paul's church but the books are mostly novels...e.g. Ruth Rendell and Agatha Christie.

Hope this helps

Antalya books
There is a large selection of books which can be borrowed from St. Paul's centre.

You can buy soft drinks, coffee and snacks, all at a good price, there. There is also a nice garden to sit and read.

I cannot remember if you have to make a small contribution to borrow books.

garrym

Efendi
Antalya books
hi sorry this is a delayed reply but I only joined the forum today.

The book shop you are talking about is not in the Kalici itself but just outside.
If you walk away from the Kalici main entrance on the main road with the sea on your left, there is a big shoping centre on the corner of the second main road junction on the oppersite side about 300 metres along. It used to be called the seker centre (but they have changed its name). The book shop is on the lower floor and is well stocked with english books.

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Antalya books
Sorry Gary but the Owl bookshop is indeed in Kaleici..it's next door to Patio restaurant and across the street from a fast food doner restaurant...i know this as i visited it last week.

angiesco

Antalya books
Sasa, is the Owl book shop open? Silly me couldn't find it. There used to be a sign hanging, with an owl on it, (low and behold!LOL) but it wasn't there when I looked. Can you tell me where is patio restaurant?

Regards Angie.

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Antalya books
Hi Angie..as far as i know it's very much open as i said i visited last week. It's quite a unassuming building, typical of those in Kaleici..

The easiest directions i can give is to start at Hadrian's Gate (Uc Kapillar), with it facing you, go left and walk down in the directions towards the site of the old British Vice Consulate. After a few hundred yards you will see a bus stop shelter, then a fast food doner restaurant with an eating area outside (it's called Hosta i think).

Immediately after, you will spot a small taxi rank and a barrier to the enterance to Kaleici..enter and to the left of this small street you will see the Patio restaurant and the continuation of the doner restaurant to your right.

Walk past Patio restaurant and a couple of doors down you will see the Owl bookshop (it has the smallest of signs with of course an Owl on it!!)..

If you don't go into Kaleici via the barrier and you reach Starbucks Coffee then i'm afraid you have passed it by only a few yards so turn back and retrace your steps..similarly if you are in Kaleici and go past Patio and start seeing signs for the Alp Pasa hotel, again turn around and retrace your steps towards the barrier, this time looking to your right.

Sorry if these directions seems simplistic but hopefully will prove effective for you!

angiesco

Antalya books
Hi Sasa, thank you for your quick reply, guess where I am going today?LOL

Your directions make perfect sense to me, as in, I know where the doner place is and the taxis, so I know where to turn and I am sure I will find it from there.

Dİd you get any books when you went? Did you take your old ones with you?

Thanks again

Angie.

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Antalya books
Hey..that's great you're going today and please share your experience on here as upon my visit I didn't actually purchase/swap any books as it was a fleeting 5 min visit-i had an appointment elsewhere..

But be prepared..its rather dark and slightly shambolic inside but perhaps thats part of it's unique charm! There didn't seem to be any order of books (eg no autobio, no travel, no fiction sections just books, books and more books stacked together!!).

Not sure of the owner's nationality but he speaks perfect English..

Happy hunting-have a great day there!!

angiesco

Antalya books
Well, we took a trip to the Owl book shop. I took my 11 previously read books with me. After my selection of about 10, the man informed me he could only sell 3 of my given ones, due to them being 'old' None the less, I left him them all, maybe someone will read them? Then he informed me, I could take 7 of my chosen books for 30TL and when these finish, to take them back and my next set will be free.

Yes, Sasa, it is dark and a tad mixed up. I had hoped to find some childrens books but only managed to find a French one.

I will take a run up to the Şeker Carşı one day and have a look too.

Thanks again to you Sasa, your directions where spot on :)

Angie.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom