Maisie

Another Problem!
Once again - I am in trouble with my Mac computer. It is behaving strangely and is very annoying.

Randomly, I click on something, and a strange website opens up as well as opening what I clicked on. Whilst extremely annoying, not too much trouble as I can just close the tab. After a bit of searching around, I suddenly noticed that a large "O" had appeared in my dock. I found out this means Opera which, to my knowledge, I did not download. I asked on Google and got various instructions to delete this programme. I also got the information that this is commonly downloaded surrepticiously through something else.

I found various items with this title in my Activity Log. I highlighted them and said delete. Which removed them. However, I was following a set of instructions for getting rid of this and it said these deleted items would now be in the trash. They weren't. My trash is empty.

Now, Opera does not appear anywhere, but I still keep getting websites opening up when I have clicked on something else. I have stopped letting these load, as I know I don't want them. Also, when this first started, my default browser changed from Google to Bing. After several instructions, I got rid of this and got back to Google. Then it started defaulting to Yahoo! Again, I managed to get it back to Google.

Does anyone know what is going on? Random websites have been opening up whilst I was typing this.

Maisie

alva5763

Bodrum buddy
Another Problem!
I do not know about Mac system but is system restore worth trying? Take it back to a date before this was happening.

TLF Admin

Administrator
Another Problem!
Sounds like you have a browser hijacker malware.
The simplest solution would be to restore back to an earlier date as @alva5763 has suggested, otherwise you need to figure out which malware you have to determine how to remove it.

Maisie

Another Problem!
That sounds about right. But, I am not techy - how do I do a system restore? How do I find out when this happened in order to go to an earlier date? I can access my activity monitor, but that does not tell me the date when anything happened. What is a malware programme called so I can look for it? Oh dear.

Assuming I can (somehow) overcome this, and manage to system restore, how do I find what I did (and saved) from this date in order to replace the actions that should be there? This sounds like a minor problem, but will probably not be minor in the slightest!

This brings back memories of when I was at work. I used Sage and once when I returned from holiday, "someone" who was supposed to know how Sage worked had completely f---ed up the whole company accounts. I used to back up the system every day when I left work. But according to Sage I could not just restore to this back up. So I had to back up and send the disc to Sage, who did whatever was necessary and sent back a disc. I then had to reinstate from this disc and work out and re-enter everything that had happened whilst I was away as well as all business whilst I was waiting for Sage to send a disc back. Bloody nightmare! Only saving grace here was that this "someone" had not done any filing, so I had to plough through two weeks' worth of business paperwork.

I am sure that there is somewhere within the computer I can find out what is causing this problem, but I don't know where to look or even what I am looking for. I did hope that deleting Opera would have solved this, but it didn't. Although all mention of Opera has disappeared from my logs, something else must have been left.

Maisie

alva5763

Bodrum buddy
Another Problem!
You could try installing malwarebytes and see if that identifies the problem. If you know when this started you can take system restore back before that date. It will not affect any of your files but will delete any programs you have installed since that date.
I am not techie enough beyond these points.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Another Problem!
Try pressing command + R keys, this should give you the options, 2nd hand info though, never owned an I mac

Maisie

Another Problem!
I have just tried this. I can get as far as Applications, and at this point nothing is shown. There are no headings.

What is helper.update?

Maisie

Maisie

Another Problem!
I now have a further question!

Is it possible to put a read receipt on emails sent though my Mac in Outlook.live.com? I have tried Googling this, and there ae several suggestions, but it is quite technical (for me!) and I can't follow the information.

Maisie

shash

shash
Another Problem!

Is it possible to put a read receipt on emails sent though my Mac in Outlook.live.com? I have tried Googling this, and there ae several suggestions, but it is quite technical (for me!) and I can't follow the information.

Maisie
Try finding email options in tool bar. That may help as its probably in options.

TLF Admin

Administrator
Another Problem!

Maisie
Try this link

Maisie

Another Problem!
There is no email options available.

I don't have Windows.

Looks as though I am stuck with not being able to do this - unless I can get a five year old to explain the technicalities to me!

Maisie

TLF Admin

Administrator
Another Problem!
From what I can see, if using browser outlook then that option is not available, this is only available in the desktop outlook application.

Maisie

Another Problem!
Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. Normally it wouldn't matter, but I have a situation at present where I would like to know that emails are being read.

Nothing like taking retrograde steps with technology!

Maisie

Galaxy Girl

Galaxy Girl
Another Problem!
In my many years of AppleMac experience both personally and for business it has never been possible to ask for a ‘read receipt, ’neither does a Mac receive any request for a ‘read receipt’ even if the sender requested one.

If you use a BT Internet email address there is a way you can obtain the receipt you need. If you let me know, I can explain how to do this.

esb1841

Another Problem!
Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. Normally it wouldn't matter, but I have a situation at present where I would like to know that emails are being read.

Nothing like taking retrograde steps with technology!

Maisie
Maisie,
I wouldn't worry about it as it is easy for anyone to block email read receipts so people are unable to establish if their email has been read or not

Top Bottom