"am i the only one"
I am sitting here reading the threads on this forum after a day of getting wet,
cold and feeling miserable after hearing/reading news of the day,you know the sort i mean,prices going up staff being laid off,killings of one sort or the other.
As i say i am now sitting hear reading some of these wonderful and informative
threads and you know what i"m feeling better already thinking of our next visit
to Akbuk in September for three weeks.
So thanks to you all for at least making me feel a lot more positive than when i started the day,thats why i ask "am i the only one"

Best wishes
countryboy

teresa

Free Thinker
"am i the only one"
You made me chuckle there - September will soon be here and hopefully you will get some sun before then. :438qr:

parrot

"am i the only one"
There was one bit of good news today,the Irish have kicked the Lisbon treaty into touch.The E.E.C don't know what's hit them,the president Barossa now wants to move the goal posts and make their vote not count.I dare say Broon will soon jump on the band wagon,well done Ireland.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
"am i the only one"
No matter what you think about the Lisbon Treaty, this has been rejected by a majority of 110,000 votes: the idea that the future of 725 million people should have their future decided by this is stupid. And talking of stupid, it was clear that most of the people being interviewed had no idea what they had voted against.
Ian

"am i the only one"
Immac, that could be said for most of the people threw out the Eu,but it was left to the Irish as we never got the chance.

countryboy

Mushroom

"am i the only one"
Immac,

From what I read, only the Irish were allowed a referendum, that's not exactly democracy in action for all the other population of the EU, and as far most of them not knowing what they voted for, we don't need to look further than our own areas at election time to conclude that it isn't exactly unique here either.

When it comes to stupid, do you suggest that we bar anyone who hasn't scored a sufficient IQ rating ? There would be a very low turn out in the UK.

If as the initial treaty said, to be ratified it had to have the agreement of ALL EU countries then by definition it is now dead in the water and good work Ireland. I do however think that these lying, cheating and generally hopeless people who consider themselves above the rest in the EU will try whatever is required to resurrect it and watch Brown the Clown to see if he once again dances to their tune !

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
"am i the only one"
Mushroom, no, not IQ, but just that they should make some effort to understand something before they vote against it.
Anyway, the politicians are getting very excited about how to ignore this aberration.
Ian

Mushroom

"am i the only one"
Do you have the proof that our Irish cousins from across the water are allegedly just one up from a pot plant when it comes to politics ?

Did the coverage include every voter, of course not, it is great media to select and edit those who come across as vague or numpties.

The bottom line is unlike our puppet government they were allowed a referendum, they voted and they rejected it. Great stuff.

The politicians will now get excited about how to deflect and alter it but it is pleasing that people power is still alive and well somewhere in the EU.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
"am i the only one"
Mushroom said:
proof that our Irish cousins from across the water are allegedly just one up from a pot plant when it comes to politics
I must say that is a little harsh, but as you point out, selective editing does not give a true reflection of the reality. :caked:

My point was wider: there should have been a uniform approach to this, with either everyone having the vote, or nobody having the vote.

I have no love for EU bureaucracy, but I do realise that with 27 (?) countries now in, and others queuing to get in, the current rules are daft. OK, they should have thought of this earlier, and trying to tie people down to rules that do not benefit them is almost impossible, which is why the Lisbon Treaty is such a can of worms - and yes, I have read it start to finish, and it is mostly unintelligible. However, it is incumbent upon voters to make some effort to understand what they are voting on - for or against - and not just vote on a whim.

I saw aprox 20 interviews and listened to a few more, and even those voting for this Treaty had little understanding of it, and seemed to be of the opinion that they should vote 'Yes', because the EU had been very good to Ireland - some might think 'too good'. Those voting against seemed to think it was, variously, a referendum on the Irish Government; something their friends told them to do; a vote for Sinn Fein.

Ian

Maura

'THE GOLDEN GIRLS'
"am i the only one"
Stupid, insufficient IQ rating, one step up from a pot plant sounds a tad arrogant to me guys, If you clearly understand the Lisbon Treaty and all it entails then I stand humbled by your superior intelligence. It was made clearly evident by the Irish public yesterday that they would not be bullied into signing up to something that they did not understand. Like all documents we all need to read the small print and fully understand it before we sign on the dotted line. I voted yes on Thursday, not because I fully understood the treaty but because I feel thet Europe has been very good for Ireland and will continue to be in the future. We need a strong united Europe to face up to the challenges from rapidly expanding countries like Russia and China. It is not that very long ago that many of the EU countries were at war with their neighbours and I hope our children and granchildren never have to go back to those dark days. The world is rapidly becoming a small place that at the moment is is facing many challenges both political and commercial and I think Europe needs to stand firmly united to protect our future.
PS I won't dignify the Sinn Fein comment with a reply.

Last edited:
"am i the only one"
Well I must be really thick as until I heard about the referendum on the news I'd never heard of the Lisbon Treaty, don't suppose I'm the only one. :wacko:

Sue

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
"am i the only one"
Sinn Fein was mentioned because as a legitimate political party, it made its position very clear on this subject and was campaigning for a 'No' to the Treaty; two of the interviews I heard were openly backing the party line.
Ian

teresa

Free Thinker
"am i the only one"
Don't worry Sue, if you are from the UK like me it appears we have no intelligence at all and are not fit to vote at all. At least our Irish cousins are one step up and have the intelligence of a pot plant and are lucky enough to be able to vote. :dooh:

I always thought it was great when they just asked me to make a "X", I thought they new me personally.

SAMIMI

"am i the only one"
I think the EU leaders will learn quite a lot from this.
(1) Do not tell the people "if your country does not vote YES that we scrap the treaty" and afterwards say "we will not take your vote into consideration, you represent less than 1% of the membership.
(2) Maybe all of the EU leaders should be the voters on treatys, as the people have voted for them to be their representative in the EU.
(3) From history you will find, you will never get everyone agreeing on any treaty.
There always has to be room for new dailogue.

Guz1

"am i the only one"
immac said:
No matter what you think about the Lisbon Treaty, this has been rejected by a majority of 110,000 votes: the idea that the future of 725 million people should have their future decided by this is stupid. And talking of stupid, it was clear that most of the people being interviewed had no idea what they had voted against.
Ian

Immac,

If I hadn't been travelling to Turkey on Referendum day, the majority would have been 110,001, precisely because the only part of the treaty that I could understand was that, if passed, it would have taken precedence over the Irish Constitution which guarantees me the right to reject a convoluted, poorly explained document that could have far reaching consequences for me and future generations of Irish people.

Perhaps those of you who perceive this rejection to be a case of a small Irish tail wagging the big EU dog need to look at how democracy is practiced in your own country because I suspect that if there had been a referendum in other countries, for example Britain and France, the majority against would have been far greater.

Mushroom

"am i the only one"
Maria,

I thought this one had left the 'top ten' but when you brought it back, it was good to hear how you saw this matter.
Immac is obviously of the opinion that first of all the Irish weren't capable of understanding what they were voting for because they hadn't read the treaty from cover to cover- has anyone? This then meant to Immac that the choice of the voters wasn't really credible and based on some TV coverage he seemed to think that some of you could even button your own shirts up let alone vote !
Then the vote didn't count because Ireland isn't big enough to do so.

All in all a great reason then to carry on with the treaty and just ignore the will of the electorate in your country?

I am sure the machinery that is currently the EU wil no doubt devise a reason why at the end of the day having a democratic say in matters in the EU will not count if it doesn't come to their agreement, but it was great to see all the same.

Harem

I've cliqued
"am i the only one"
I think the fact that people couldn't understand what the Treaty is all about is a very good reason to vote against it. Treaties should be made to be understandable by everyone - no good letting a Treaty go through just because you can't understand what it is all about.

v6cod

Living in Okcular
"am i the only one"
The Lisbon Treaty was born out of the EU constitution which was rejected by France and Holland. Now the rehashed version has been rejected by Ireland, I have no doubt that if other countries were allowed a vote on it, it would be rejected by them.

Isn't it about time the EU politicians gave the voters that have been given the chance the respect they deserve and come up with something that is easy to read so that informed decisions can be made or are they too scared because they know it would be rejected outright.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom