Germaine

Mass Debater
Altinkum Airport still a rumour ?
Hi all.
Over the last 4 weeks i have spoken to two Altinkum property owners who are convinced that in the next few years an Airport will be built in Altinkum. One of these two people claims that she got the information first hand from the Mayor who said work starts in 2015. I know everything is a rumour in Turkey till they start digging and the Airport rumour has been around for years. The Marina was much the same story and that came to fruition.
Is anyone else hearing talk of an Airport ?
Would an Airport be built in Didim when Bodrum is only 45minutes away ?
I cant see it myself.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Welcome back mate!.

They'll build it in 2015 and demolish it for being illegal in 2016. :lol:

Last edited:

Martyn

Great to hear from you Germaine.

It would be good to get an airport around Altinkum but I've heard nothing about it. Too close, I don't think so we have several in the uk that are about the same distance to each other? Gatwick, City, Heathrow, Luton ....:roundgrin

Tess

I haven't heard anything definite about the airport either.
Would be so so handy and I think make Altinkum really handy to all holidaymakers not only property owners.
I would imagine it would up the ante on holiday bookings in that area.
Long journeys to any resort puts people off I feel.
I have heard rumours in the past about this, and like you say the Marina did come to fruition, so who knows!!
Time will of course tell.
In Northern Ireland we have 3 airports in such a small area, so I think with the vastness of Turkey another will be appreciated.
Altinkum is very popular with Turkish holidaymakers as well and it would be so handy for them to save long long distances by road.

Guz1

Germaine!!!! A blast from the past. Welcome back.

An airport in Altinkum is a new twist to the old rumours (Kusadasi and Gazipasa spring to mind). Maybe there is some truth in it but I wouldn't hold my breath. The mayor could have been indulging in the old Turkish habit of telling the foreigner what she wanted to hear.

bebs

Hi Germaine,heard this too last year that army airport was going to be changed to international one .Would be fantastic if it ever transpired -Bebs

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Germaine!!!! A blast from the past. Welcome back.

An airport in Altinkum is a new twist to the old rumours (Kusadasi and Gazipasa spring to mind). Maybe there is some truth in it but I wouldn't hold my breath. The mayor could have been indulging in the old Turkish habit of telling the foreigner what she wanted to hear.

funny though back in the 80s they used to say they would build an airport near bodrum! we never believed them then lo and behold !

We used it the first year it opened I can remember we had to land in daylight hours as they hadnt finished the runway lights.

you just never know ! matter of interest is there a small airstrip over that way ?

martin

oooo..Germaine..where have you been..great to see you..now dont do another runner..stay with us.
Theres an airport in Gazipa┼ča that was built in the 90s ...and it still hasnt opened.But thats another story.

alison09400

Great to see you back on the forum Germaine ;)

To add another twist to this, I've read reports in turkish newspapers about an airport being built at Soke. I guess it would be on the Soke-Altinkum Road as it's so flat there.

Soke would be a great place to cover both Kusadasi and Altinkum.

Germaine

Mass Debater
Welcome back Germaine, you have been missed

Thanks all.
I've been a tad busy the last 12 months rearranging my life.
I have been checking in now and then but you'll be pleased to hear i really dont have the time to get involved in the forum like i used to.:heh:
I'm never too far away though ;-)

akbukowl

Can't see it happening ,they just need to upgrade the roads and bring transfer times down,Bodrum airport struggles to keep going all year as it is so another airport would only serve to undermine it and would be a waste of money

Guz1

funny though back in the 80s they used to say they would build an airport near bodrum! we never believed them then lo and behold !

We used it the first year it opened I can remember we had to land in daylight hours as they hadnt finished the runway lights.

you just never know ! matter of interest is there a small airstrip over that way ?

martin

I don't know Martin.....not familiar with Altinkum. There is a small airfield near Kusadasi and every so often when the property market is slow the rumour pops up about it being turned into an international airport. The rumours about Gazipasa circulate every year too. I don't know what Gazipasa is like but I reckon that flying pigs will be Kusadasi International's first customers. Still, This is Turkey, so who knows?

martin m

Hi Germain
When i saw you avatar i thought it must be an old thread lol, great to hear from you again,now.
I have to agree with alison we heard a lot of talk this year about Soke and new airport, serving kussadasi and Altinkum, lets face it the area is tailor made anyway (flat as pancake).
Think i will have a nosey around.

here we are.
Voices Newspaper Altinkum Didim Turkey - Mayor talks up airport plan
martin

Last edited:

Guz1

Thanks, Martin, for that link. I missed Alison's earlier post referring to a newpaper report. An airport at Soke would be wonderful. Fingers crossed that it isn't just empty talk.

Germaine

Mass Debater
Thanks Martin,
I did look on voices newspaper before i posted. I obviously didnt look hard enough. :)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom