immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Alexander the Great doodles near Fethiye?
Just north of Saklikent and its famous gorge is the small village of Girmeler. There is a Thermal Spa in Girmeler. I visited the site this week and although it was closed for winter, the caretaker took time to explain some of it's history and show us a chemical analysis of the water in the spa.

I was particularly interested in the cave in the cliff face that towers over the site. He explained that this was known as "Alexander's Cave" after Alexander the Great who reportedly spent some time here. He told me that the cave can be walked its entire length and emerges at Tlos 7 Km away although, he said, nobody could remember anyone doing it in modern times. He said there were drawings in the cave and I think we were to infer that Alexander had left his mark doodling on the walls.

Does anyone know anything about this cave, or the Spa? Are there any real links to Alexander? Although I knew he had been in Turkey, I didn't know he spent time in this area.

Ian

lorraine

Non Active Member
Thanks Ian for sharing this with us, don't suppose you took any photos??

:)

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
No, but as it happens, I am going back to the village this weekend and will try to get something interesting to show.

Ian

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
As requested, here are a couple of pictures. The hut gives some scale:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ian

Last edited:

lorraine

Non Active Member
Thanks Ian for this, it is now on the list of things to do this winter.

Finding these little treasures is the best part of winter, PaulT is trying to get over here this winter so he will be dragged into this day out,!!

:)

PaulT

Ian - thanks for finding this - looks great! Looking forward to visiting!

Definately out in the Winter Lorraine - If I can't get a flight, gonna have to start swimming - can't keep me away! :lol:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom