gerald

Alanya Nightmare -no TV, radio or internet
From Belfast Telegraph 31Aug09

Northern Ireland man facing jail in Turkey

Monday, 31 August 2009

A Belfast man is facing seven years in a Turkish jail after being charged with fighting with hotel staff, being drunk and disorderly and punching a hole in a door.

Gerard Marshall's nightmare began on July 14 when he was arrested in the sunshine Alanya resort.

The thirty-six-year-old was released on bail the following day and is due to appear again in court on September 7.

Until then Gerard's home is a cramped apartment in a country where he knows no one and does not speak the language.

His ex-wife Charlene McGarry, who was on holiday with Gerard but has since flown home, described the situation as a nightmare.

She said: “Apparently Gerard had words with a barman and when he went up to his room he had forgotten his key so he asked staff to open the door.

“The manager got involved and then the next thing was he closed the door on him and Gerard's arm went through the door,” added Charlene.

The Ardoyne father of two was taken to hospital where he received 15 stitches. But before he could leave the ward he was arrested.

He was bailed the next day on a litany of charges that could see him banged up for seven years. Relatives have flown out to Turkey.

However Charlene says all he wants if for the ordeal to end.

“He just sits there and watches the traffic all day long out the window,” she added.

“He knows nobody, he is in a place in the back hole of nowhere.

“He has no TV, radio or internet to pass the time.”

uncle fester

Senior Member.
this is turkey and you shoud know the law when you enter this country,i feel sorry for gerard and hope it gets it sorted,but would not hold my breath. sorry.

another holıday hoolıgan:ukflag: good to har they are takın the approprıate actıon agaınst these louts that come on holıday portrayıng us all to be the saem ı am sure ıt ıs quıte dıstressın but then ıf the UK was not such a mollycoddled state we would be used to ıt, and possıbly behave lıke the grown adults we are supposed to be.
Ndoubt the consulate wıll get ınvolved an he wıll get a slapped bum an go to another country to do ıt next year tho!!!!:ukflag:
this is turkey and you shoud know the law when you enter this country,i feel sorry for gerard and hope it gets it sorted,but would not hold my breath. sorry.

uncle fester

Senior Member.
another holıday hoolıgan:ukflag: good to har they are takın the approprıate actıon agaınst these louts that come on holıday portrayıng us all to be the saem ı am sure ıt ıs quıte dıstressın but then ıf the UK was not such a mollycoddled state we would be used to ıt, and possıbly behave lıke the grown adults we are supposed to be.
Ndoubt the consulate wıll get ınvolved an he wıll get a slapped bum an go to another country to do ıt next year tho!!!!:ukflag:

i agree michael.here here.:ukflag:

İ think Alanya iw probably a better place than the Ardoyne..certainly not a black hole..its clean lively ..and has zero tolerance for louts.!
and as for seven years..theres no way the Turkish Courts would send him to be kept in a prison here..he will be deported.

Last edited:
Good to see people arent excusing thıs terrıble behavıour ıf only the BBC would try thıs as ı am sure they wıll blacken turkeys name wıth ıt as they generally do

İ think Alanya iw probably a better place than the Ardoyne..certainly now a black hole..its clean lively ..and has zero tolerance for louts.!

İ think Alanya iw probably a better place than the Ardoyne..certainly not a black hole..its clean lively ..and has zero tolerance for louts.!
and as for seven years..theres no way the Turkish Courts would send him to be kept in a prison here..he will be deported.

Hope he is deported, we don't want scum like that in Turkey.

Sue

people should relise you are a guest in a foreign country not in the ukso you cant carry here like you do there

Latest Posts

Top Bottom