Interesting Thanks,

includes Turkish driving lessons :p
"................... turn left at the signs saying no entry ..........."

Debbie

Harem

I've cliqued
Akkopru Dam & Bridge
Re: See it before it goes.

Thanks, Flowerpotman, very interesting. Must see if I can persuade 'imindoors to go!!

jcrian

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

Could be another fishing lake for the future. Will have to have a look next time out.

Glad our house isn't below the dam as it's situated in a 'first degree' earthquake zone.

matty

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

We actually went for the first time in August this year. Really is worth visiting before it disappears!
Wasn't very keen on the rickety wooden bridge that we drove over to get to it.:bolt::bolt:

pembelu

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

ive been trying to ask locals for pics of how it used to be but hub says the village generally only had one photographer...meaning one person with a normal camera that sold pics to neighbours of special events in the 70s ans 80s. if i find any i will post them here. if you walk around near the area you will see the foundations of many a house, even an old hospital! and in laws old house...their beloved fig tree still stands just by the redirected river....
''The villagers were given the option to be rehoused in local towns but took the option of cash in hand.''- wonder how much they paid them...?! one person said 1000 tl for 1000 sqm..but i think that was tarla- sure they had more for properties but it wss many yrs ago.
word has it many husbands gambled it away! but were offered cheap property to buy with the money along the lake side in koycegiz!! fools if they turned it down!.....
so which area will flood if its cracks? ortaca is my guess?? horrid thought......

Last edited:

pembelu

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

here are some pics from up the mountain. wasnt an easy walk thats for sure! but worth it for views. rather dangerous though but was with family that know all the paths and turns and cliffs! and im scared of heights!
the last pic is the long terms residents...couldnt stop laughing at them as they froze til we passed them by.....

just added 2 other pics. both edited to keep family identity private hence some blurred parts. but it shows the old family house in the early 80s and then last month when we last visited. shows how much was reworked/ removed and knocked down and that the river was redirected.
actually i just noticed the shadow i left by mistake on the pic...says it all really. and its where all my family want to be buried too. including me!

Attachments

• S7009058.jpg
    S7009058.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 81
  • S7009073.jpg
    S7009073.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 76
  • S7009097.jpg
    S7009097.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 76
  • where house was.jpg
    where house was.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 70
  • old house1.jpg
    old house1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

jcrian

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

Thanks for the pictures pembelu. We are out in Koycegiz on the 11th January and will try and see if we can find it too if the weather isn't too bad.

Smiler

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

Great photo's, interesting to see those two old 1st world war hats lying undisturbed after all those years...

Reactions: GnD

pembelu

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

lets just say i used my zoom for this pic and so did he for his pose!
im told they get aggresive if you get too near...but i mean what they gonna do? go for your ankle?!

Last edited:
Reactions: GnD

GnD

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

Superb photos enjoyed them, maybe not as much as the two war hats!

pembelu

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

i admit i have more! and a vid. i went into david bellomy mode as ive often heard them but not seen them at it and found it facinating! i presumed the female made the noise but not so it seems...uhm better leave it at that.:)

GnD

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

Don't they sound like two coconuts (erm there is a verb screaming out to go here) verbing? ;)

pembelu

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

banging yes. but its the high pitched noise supposedly expressing pleasure...near pain?! that sounds scary to me! maybe thats what they do to scare off nosey people like me watching! i decided not to put in the pic that showed his teeth. it was borderline horror. uhm best left alone i thought at that point.
now back to bridges!....so if this is to vanish and now the stream where the restaurants are etc...seems its all going to change and due to water ....wish i knew someone who was in on the plans round here and knew the need then it would all make sense to me

jcrian

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

so if this is to vanish and now the stream where the restaurants are etc...seems its all going to change and due to water ....wish i knew someone who was in on the plans round here and knew the need then it would all make sense to me

Surely that stream/river goes down to supply the bottling plant. The water is so clear that you could probably drink it straight from the stream.

faonmf.jpg

b9gj2s.jpg

pembelu

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

yes but didnt i read on here its being diverted... ive no idea about the facts as they have havent been published in papers or online as such, but the restaurants will not have the water flowing as it is now. shame if true as we too love it.

Last edited:

pembelu

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

apparently not, meaning the companies or whomever are organising the projects/dam for akkopru and yuvarlakcay are not the same. But they are going to do a dam in the area connected to tomorrows thing.think the plan is to use the stream from the source sort of...just a bit further up from the restaurants and control the flow- meaning it will no longer be as it is and this will have a huge impact on nature.ive no idea if it will be redirected, put overhead , under or what. If you look at it now from google earth you will see its natural flow and direction. i think it must be fat cat buisiness men doing something here thats bad news for nature.

Last edited:

CJD

Akkopru Dam & Bridge

This is very good news but I have heard that Saklikent is another
area that has been granted a licence to buid a hydro electric plant
so more fights ahead I beleive

Latest Posts

Top Bottom