KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Af Kule Walk - Thursday 4th June 2009
I'm organising another walk out to the ruins of Af Kule Monastery on the afternoon of Thursday 4th June 2009.

In order to get the best lighting conditions for those wishing to take photographs, we'll be meeting at the Af Kule turning on the road from Kaya Koyu to Gemiler Beach at 3.30pm. For those of you that are not familiar with this road, the turning is about 200 metres past the large "Sea Eagle" on the right-hand side of the road. Details of the walk are in the Outdoor section of The Fethiye Times, at Fethiye Times but we'll be cutting out the initial walk along the road.

You can copy and paste 36°34'29.67"N, 29° 3'15.71"E into the "Fly To" field of Google Earth for the exact location of the meeting point.

All the dolmuses from Fethiye / Ovacik / Hisaronu to Gemiler Beach will stop at this turn by request. There is plenty of parking space for those wishing to use their own transport.

I'm not arranging anything in regards to food at the end of the walk, as there are plenty of options available.

Please make sure that you bring at least half a litre of water for your own use, and wear sensible shoes as a large part of the pathway is strewn with loose stones.

In order to get an idea of the number of members likely to be taking part, please contact me through my profile.

Last edited:

Fifi

Hi
Could anyone tell me the current state of play re Gemiler Beach?
We've been visiting for many many years, and have spent many happy days on Gemiler Beach, eating at the restaurant furthest to the west (furthest right when you come down the hill) - I can't recall the family's name but the lovely girl who used to serve us was called Hatije.
We didn't manage to visit last year, and in 2007 there was some sort of upset on the beach, with Hatije's family having to move their loungers from the beach, not being allowed to serve meals in their restaurent etc. It kinda spoiled things for us, and I'm a bit worried as to what the lie of the land will be this year.
This is my first time using this forum, so apologies if I'm not following the correct protocols!
Thanks

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Well, sadly there was an incident there in which 3 members of the same family were shot dead by another family member.

The whole area of the beach has been refurbished and new amenities have been added over the winter. I don't know what it's like down there this season nor what the entry fee is.

Fifi

Jings! When was that? We were last there August 2007.

Lauire

Just got back from Kaya yesterday,its 2.5tl each for Gemiler beach and I recomend parking on the left of the carpark and using that end of the beach ,new loos and changing rooms.
Right hand side bit of a ripoff.
laurie.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom