haybags

advice needed re hsbc
Hi was just trying to find out some info re hsbc.my hubby went to get his money out today and was only allowed a little and the rest which he wants to get out a.s.ap he cant.they said he has a fon on his account and he needs to unblock it online.i possibly think its something to do with not taking paperwork to his bank ( looked up dec 15th post ) so could this be the reason why? has anyone else had this problem? do you think if he asks them to close his account he will have more trouble?

advice needed re hsbc
It shouldn't be a problem at your own branch if you have your cards/passbook & residency or passport ID, however,HSBC now have a new banking security system, which as far as I know is for online only, (as with many other turkish banks) you will need to register one of your mobile phone numbers with the bank, (must be done in person) and when logging on they will sms you a one time password number to this phone number, so you will need the phone with you! If you are using a Turkey phone, make sure international roaming is on for when tyou come back to UK, or register your UK mobile before you leave.

There does not seem to be any way around this, so its best to go to the bank & get it set up. When you get used to it, it's not too bad, but remember when you do online banking, HSBC have put a 'timer' on your banking web page....you now have 200 seconds, whoops 195, whoops..... a bit disconcerning!

As far as I'm aware, drawing from HSBC cash machine or counter, this is not required (it wasn't for us a week ago) in Turgutreis, though the amounts for us might have been smaller.

Best collar the manager/ess.

dazkad

advice needed re hsbc
hi haybags.. if i remember i had the same on my account, so couldn't transfer any money out. i went to hsbc bodrum and produced my uk drivers licence and fon taken off.
Darren

also try phoning telephone banking and ask for fax number of your hsbc bank and fax copies over.

and gaz is right you will need to register a mobile with the bank to access internet banking

Last edited:

ted j

advice needed re hsbc
Just had a look at their website and it looks complicated . Do as Des says, and give Garanti a look, their website is dead easy and uncluttered. Ted

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
advice needed re hsbc
we find hsbc so easy, but garanti was a nightmare.

so horses for courses

martin

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
advice needed re hsbc
we always find Garanti a nightmare, for instance we only want to use internet banking as going to the branch takes time and frustrates us, wanted to change a time deposit account but because it had over 35,000 tl in it was not permitted to do anything with it on line had to go to the branch. HSBC web site much friendlier and easier to use but just lately we feel that the service has gone down a lot and interest rates are poor so they are going to loose some of our custom.

jearden

advice needed re hsbc
I have 4 internet bank accounts in the UK and find HSBC Turkey to be better and faster than all of them. My complaint is the transfer charges. Hsbc UK charge £17 for sending and Hsbc Turkey charge between £15 and £25 for receiving which for an electronic transfer is ridiculous. I'm told not all Turkish banks charge a fee for receiving so would be interested to know what other members pay.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
advice needed re hsbc
we transfer from first direct to hsbc (bodrum) it costs £10 pretty sure we pay no receiving charges, but will double check

martin

butt007

Warren
advice needed re hsbc
I went to HSBC today as I could'nt access my account online, you need your mobile phone, and your passport, the guy fills out a form puts your mobile number on it and your passport number on as well, then you sign it.......job done, takes 5mins.
Warren

Darren

advice needed re hsbc
HSBC transfer charges completely inconsistent
Their internet banking platform appears to function excellently
and is far better than anything in the UK
But behınd the scenes it is not always doing what you have instructed or expect or think
And none of their consumer banking or investment products are priced competitively

haybags

advice needed re hsbc
thanks for all your replies.the main reason i asked is my hubby will be coming to live in the uk in just over a week and wanted to sort this out before he leaves.obv his money is in lira but when he gets here everytime he withdraws cash he will always pay a fee.is there a better way?

Graham7

advice needed re hsbc
I went to HSBC today as I could'nt access my account online, you need your mobile phone, and your passport, the guy fills out a form puts your mobile number on it and your passport number on as well, then you sign it.......job done, takes 5mins.
Warren

Do you have to have you mobile with you or can you just give the number. As I want to register my UK mobile and might save me taking it with me. And does it work with UK mobiles ???

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
advice needed re hsbc
i use my uk mobile, most my transactions are done from our office pc.
hsbc send a one time password to your registered mobile, which you use to verify your id when it asks you to input it

martin

advice needed re hsbc
Well if you are such a moneybags that investment products mean something to you that's ok but the rest of us just go for good service and convenience.

suzyq

advice needed re hsbc
I have an with HSBC in the UK, it only cost me 10 pounds to transfer money to my sterling account with HSBC in Turkey. Last week I transferred money from my UK account to here, went into the bank and asked to withdraw the money and was told it would cost X mount of TL to do it. My husband kicked up a fuss and asked why we were suddenly being asked to pay extra after 4 years, it appears that they will charge you a fee if you withdraw it out in sterling. I think we had a particular thick girl serving us as we asked for it in TL and she obviously wasn't listening, anyway my husband asked to see the manager who apologised and told the girl off. Why you are charged if you ask for sterling and charged nothing if you ask for TL I found strange and even the manager didn't know but it is on their list of charges.

jearden

advice needed re hsbc
Turkey is not in the worldpay banking scheme and I am always charged £17 sending charge + an HSBC Turkey receiving charge. My bank manager says there is no way round this, so what is the secret behind these reported £10 transfers.

This is from the HSBC web site.

''Charges for overseas transfer:
This is the HSBC charge for your payment. If you have chosen to pay all charges, any overseas bank charges that become due will be taken later.

If you are a personal customer and your payment is under £2,000 and in local Currency to a Worldpay Country (see Helpcentre for details) or to a Eurozone Country then the charge will be £9. All other payments, including all payments made by Sole Traders, will be charged at £17. If you want the beneficiary to pay all charges we will deduct the charge from the amount we send to the beneficiary bank.
The charge will be debited to your account when we process the payment.''

traveller

advice needed re hsbc
It seems that most Turkish banks use the "one use texted pin" system now, so you do need to register a mobile and have it by you when you access your internet accounts. TEB do not charge anything to accept money from abroad into a sterling account here, and their website is pretty good. I don't know what they are like with taking large sums out, not tried it. We did transfer 22K lira when we bought a car with no probs.
When we banked with Finans, they charged an arm and a leg to accept funds, but we took out £14K in sterling on a couple of days notice, no problem but that was 2 years ago.

Tommie

Sun Worshipper
advice needed re hsbc
Have been informed that one can open an HSBC account anywhere with HSBC, not necessarily in the same country as the branch.

Has anyone managed to open a foreign account with HSBC in Didim?

I was told that I had to go to one of their big branches, the nearest being in Izmir.

Sounds a bit like Turkish standards...

Tom

Latest Posts

Top Bottom