niclove

Advice needed on the 300 day waiting period for foreign nationals marrying in turkey?
Hi i was hoping someone could help me, myself and partner are wanting to get married in turkey next september 2013 in sarigerme,
The problem is i will not get my decree absolute untill the end of this year and if this 300 day waiting period applies i will not be able to get married, first choice have told me that it only applies to turkish women, and that as i am british they refer to my countries law, which if this is the case we would be fine.

could someone tell me if this is right?

many thanks

Advice needed on the 300 day waiting period for foreign nationals marrying in turkey?
As far as I am aware it no longer applies.

kemerkid

Bystander
The ink wasn't even dry on my decree absolute when I got married here twenty one years ago.

The ink wasn't even dry on my decree absolute when I got married here twenty one years ago.

I think you're a man Kemerkid? You couldn't be pregnant - shame, you'd have made a fortune!!! - so it wouldn't have applied to you in any case! :lol:

Last edited:

kemerkid

Bystander
I think you're a man Kemerkid? You couldn't be pregnant - shame, you'd have made a fortune!!! - so it wouldn't have applied to you in any case! :lol:

It's a wonder though, I've been screwed often enough!

suzyq

I agree with Yildez it won't apply if you are a foreigner.

I agree with Yildez it won't apply if you are a foreigner.

Suzy, I don't think it applies to Turks either. I'm pretty sure it was removed from statute a couple of years ago, maybe more.

suzyq

Yildez, Thanks for that as I didn't know it had been changed for Turks as well

niclove

hi thanks everyone, i did email the Turkish embassy and there reply was not very helpful all there reply said was "yes it's Turkish civil law" i then replied asking for more info on the law they just gave me contact numbers for the British embassy in turkey, but no one seems to have a straight answer, my mom is in turkey at the moment at her apartment so she is looking into it for me.

so you all reckon it only applied for Turkish women? and that that it won't apply to me. i just don't want to waste money and families time going over there to be told it can't go ahead.

hi thanks everyone, i did email the Turkish embassy and there reply was not very helpful all there reply said was "yes it's Turkish civil law" i then replied asking for more info on the law they just gave me contact numbers for the British embassy in turkey, but no one seems to have a straight answer, my mom is in turkey at the moment at her apartment so she is looking into it for me.

so you all reckon it only applied for Turkish women? and that that it won't apply to me. i just don't want to waste money and families time going over there to be told it can't go ahead.

It's an old law, I don't think it ever applied to for foreign women, and I don't believe it applies for Turkish women anymore.

I assume you're marrying a Turk? Tell him to get off his backside and down to the belediyer to check for you - it's his wedding too!

niclove

Hi no we are both English lol, my mom is over there at the moment so is going to try to find out, we are doing it in turkey as it's so much cheaper and we then have honeymoon rolled into one :)

If you're both English it definately doesn't apply.

Can

if you are both english and coming here for wedding only, you are subject to UK law.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom