Krissie

advice for marriage
Hi all, Im planning on getting married at new year to my turkish partner and wanted a bit of advice RE translating documents - could anyone please tell me exactly where you send the docs for them to be translated - any particular place or if not could anyone recommend anywhere? Also I would appreciate approx price and time scales involved? I have an appointment with my local registry office where I will be issued with a certificate of non impendment 21 days later - im also under the impression I will need a full birth certificate ? Anything I have missed from this end? Any advice would be greatly appreciated Many thanks Krissie

Mushtaq

Founding Member
advice for marriage
Here is a list from an old posting here;

- A full 10 year passport with at least 3 months validity. (There is a 10 pound sterling visa charge per person payable at the port of entry)
- A certificate of non-impediment from the local Registrar of Marriages in your home town in the UK.
- Detailed birth cert. (short version is not acceptable)
- If under 18 years old, the written consent of parent or guardian.
- If married before, the Divorce Cert, or if the previous spouse is deceased, the Death Cert. (Please note that specisl permission is required for divorced women wanting to re-marry less than 300 days after the dissolution of their marriage)
- Six recent colour passport photographs of each person.
- Application in person to the British Consulate in Turkey to initiate formalities (documents obtained from the British Consulate would then need to be certified by the local Governers office)
- Two witnesses (please note that immediate family members cannot be witnesses)

If you use the search facility with words like 'marriage documents' you will find plenty of information.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
advice for marriage
You both have to have an Aids test . can be done at State Hospital or a labouritry . { cant speel to tired } Its a Bind ,!!!!

ChrisBobs

advice for marriage
Krissie
you dont say where you are getting married, but you should go on the British Embassy in Turkey website, and find the consulate that you will be applying for banns at, and contact them direct for local information.
They may have a list of notary with translators ( official) who will translate your passport/certişficate and non-impediment certs.
Last heard - there is actually a blood test - just one of the things tested for is AIDS.

There is also a member here who is a wedding planner, Alison - maybe she will come along soon!

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
advice for marriage
When did the aids test come in?

I have never heard of that and never had it when I got married.

My wife and I were married over 7 years ago in Ankara and both had to have an aids test done.

Biker Bob

Krissie

advice for marriage
thanks for the replies so far everyone... just another quick question im only planning on going over for 2 weeks, hoping to get out there boxing day, as cant get any more time off work...will this be enough time to do everything if we put our skates on?? we will be going to izmir consulate as its bodrum my partner lives..

alison09400

advice for marriage
Krissie you need 2 working days to organise your paperwork and book your wedding.

Day 1 you'll go to the Consulate in Izmir (in the morning time)..you'll then collect your translated paperwork in the afternoon. They recently reduced the costs for this about 2-3 months ago...it's currently 175TL.

Day 2 you'll need to have your blood tests done first thing as they're usually done before 9.30am to have the results back the same day. These can be done at a Saglik Ocagi (Health Centre)....there's no charge. You'll need your passport and 2 passport photos each. After you receive your test results go to the local Registrary Office and tell them you wish to get married. You will also need to get a Sicil Number from the local Belediye Office before going to the Registrary Office. This is free of charge..you just need to take your passport.

Your fiance could find out exactly what you require before you arrive and also the current costs. Kusadasi Registrary Office was charging 275TL per couple this year.

Regarding birth certificate, yes you'll need the long version.

Krissie

advice for marriage
thankyou very much for your response it was very helpful. Just a couple of questions to confirm..doea my partner need a passport before getting married or will his ID be enough?
Also after 21 days will the certificate be ready to bring straight to turkey or will there be anything else I need to do whilst in England - as I am under the impression that I just need the certificate, which will be available after the 21days and a full birth certificate and thats all from this end?
So I just take the docs to the consulate and tell them I wish to be married and they will be translated the same day?

Thanks again, krissie

kemer007

advice for marriage
When did the aids test come in?

I have never heard of that and never had it when I got married.

Its not the AIDS test they do...its the THALESSEMIA test..When you are pregnant to be sure not to have the same blood type with your partner.
Thalassemia is a genetic disease. This means that a person can only get Thalassemia disease or trait by inheriting the genes for Thalassemia from their parents. Genes determine what we look like, such as hair color, and are also responsible for many diseases. Inheritance of Thalassemia happens purely by chance–there is nothing that parents do, or do not do, that will cause their child to inherit Thalassemia. Thalassemia is never 'caught' by another person in the way that a cold or flu is transmitted. People with Thalassemia disease and trait are born with it.

Over two million people in the United States carry the genetic trait for Thalassemia. Thalassemia trait is not and never will become Thalassemia disease. There are two main types of Thalassemia trait: Alpha Thalassemia trait and Beta Thalassemia trait. Most types of Thalassemia trait cause the red blood cells to be smaller in size than usual, but there is no scientific evidence that Thalassemia trait causes health problems. Individuals with Thalassemia trait have some level of protection from Malaria. Therefore, although Thalassemia trait is found in all populations, it is most common in people from regions where Malaria occurs.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
advice for marriage
hmmm, my wife said it was an aids test. They tested for many things but aids was supposed to be one of them.

Biker Bob

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
advice for marriage
Well our results mentioned Aids and said Negative , Plus it was top of the list , And its the same in the Usa ...... Diane

alison09400

advice for marriage
hmmm, my wife said it was an aids test. They tested for many things but aids was supposed to be one of them.

Biker Bob

HIV is one of the things you are tested for.

Krissie, your fiance's ID (Kimlik) is what he needs. Without your Certificate of Non-Impediment you will not be able to get married. You'll get this about 4 weeks after you applied as you "bans" will "read" for 21 days.

Krissie

advice for marriage
thanks again alison, sorry I know Im rambling a bit its just everywhere I look on the net I seem to get different requirements etc!

so just a few more things:
After the 21 days will the certificate be ready to bring straight to turkey or will there be anything else I need to do whilst in England - as I am under the impression that I just need the certificate, which will be available after the 21days and a full birth certificate and thats all from this end?

So I just take the docs to the consulate and tell them I wish to be married and they will be translated the same day?

Thanks again, krissie

alison09400

advice for marriage
thanks again alison, sorry I know Im rambling a bit its just everywhere I look on the net I seem to get different requirements etc!

so just a few more things:
After the 21 days will the certificate be ready to bring straight to turkey or will there be anything else I need to do whilst in England - as I am under the impression that I just need the certificate, which will be available after the 21days and a full birth certificate and thats all from this end?

Forgot to say that if you're divorced you will need your final divorce papers as well.

Thanks again, krissie

Yes Krissie. All you need to take to the Consulate is your Cert of Non-Impediment, full birth cert and passport. Your CNI will be ready to take to Turkey after 21 days...there's nothing else you need to do in England. If you go to the Consulate early they will give them back to you the same afternoon.

Last edited:

Krissie

advice for marriage
Hi all, thanks again for all your kind replies to my last querey. Got a new one now though :)
well I went to my local registry office to get my cert of no impediment and she asked me to give the name of the place which we are to be married - me and my hubby to be have discussed this and decided as we will be in Izmir at the consulate it would be easiest to go ahead and do it straight after - so I gave her the name Izmir....
however my hubby to be has been to get his documents together today and they have told him he needs to have an address in the place which he wishes to get married - Izmir - which he does'nt have in order for the info to be put on the required documents. He has an address in Tarsus (his home city) and Bodrum (his works/summer address)
i.e. if his documents state a bodrum address and bodrum as the place of marriage will we HAVE to be married ONLY in Bodrum? or visa versa with an Izmir address etc??
Does anyone have any info on this issue??

haybags

advice for marriage
hi i got married in bodrum a month ago and my husband didnt have an address there.on my certificate of no impediment we just put bodrum turkey.my husband just had to show his kimlik card and gave his home address to the registry office in bodrum.it may just be that particular place in izmir that wont do it.if you are staying in bodrum it would be easier there as they are so used to doing them.we had to travel to izmir for our paperwork then back to bodrum to get married.you have time to change yr paperwork before yr 21 days are up if you need to change the area :)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom