bickern

adverts from the past that would never be allowed today
They're incredible by today's standards, but once upon a time these adverts were perfectly acceptable.

From an ad that claims smoking is healthy to one telling mothers they should give Coca-Cola to their babies, these shocking posters give a fascinating insight into a time gone by.

One even tries to promote cocaine a remedy for toothache.

Read more: Cocaine, for toothache? The outrageous adverts that would never be allowed now | Mail Online

Love it :wacko:

An advert for Drummond Sweaters 'Men are better than women!'.

An advert for Kelloggs vitamins from the 1930s even states: 'The harder a wife works the cuter she looks.'

Whilst in 1954 the Hoover brand claimed: 'Christmas morning she'll be happy with a Hoover.'

I love one of the comments at the bottom:-
"Those were the days when a woman knew her correct place, a helper for the man who is the head of the household, as God intended.. now after 30 years of women's lib ... look at how the country has degenerated"

I of course could not subscribe to such a comment. LOL.

Last edited:
I've got some Pears soap ads, I can't see them online, but one has a black child in a bath tub who is 'getting whiter the more she uses Pears' and anther in which Pears is also recomended to 'Fuzzy Wuzzies' There is this one online though in which Pears states that the 'white mans burden is to teach the rest of the world cleanliness'.
File:1890sc Pears Soap Ad.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

northpole

The Penguin Rules
l remember the advert:an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
l ate apples everyday and the doctor was kept away due to me having severe flatulence.
lt worked,but the side effects was reeking havoc on my social life..Those were the days.Life is a mystery

Last edited:

hijo

in my own clique
.. a cracker from the 60,s

....[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_F2FgRpT84&feature=player_embedded]Funny Banned Commercial - Popcorn - YouTube[/ame]

ted j

Don't know about old adverts
Some of the modern ones are just as thick
The Harveys adverts shown around Corrie grate on my nerves with that stupidly portayed woman who refuses to let her hubby in because it's "against the rules" and throws peas all over her shoulder (great advert for showing kids how to behave at the dinner table)
Ted

Last edited:

parrot

We have the most annoying in the UK.It's the adds before and at the breaks of certain dramas sponsored by Jet2.They are so eh Scottish and the acting so bad,requiring a sick bag which should be provided by Jet2.I have to mute the sound and look away every time they come on,if I didn't I think it would cost me a new telly.

tykatem

Available in sarcastic to
Not sure if this one would be allowed nowadays, but I can't think why !!!!

jb7jpz.jpg

Pete

l remember the advert:an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
l ate apples everyday and the doctor was kept away due to me having severe flatulence.
lt worked,but the side effects was reeking havoc on my social life..Those were the days.Life is a mystery

although apples are good, as most doctors are muslim these days, i think a bacon sandwich works better.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom