Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
A word of warning - Finansbank, Didim
I am having the worst time trying to get the Didim branch of Finansbank to transfer my accounts to a branch here in Izmir. Three weeks have passed and STILL the transfer has not happened.

I contacted them initially to tell them that, atlthough I have happily banked with them for the past two years, I now have a new base in Izmir, and that for ease of dealing with my bank face to face, Izmir is a better location as a local branch.

To date, they have emailed me, telling me that I could leave my accounts there and still do anything I want via other branches. I thanked them for their email but explained that most, not ALL things can be done at other branches.

Then I went into the branch in Izmir and asked for their help to transfer the accounts. They helped me prepare a handwritten request to my branch instructing the transfer and explaining the reason - i.e. relocation to another city. That was two weeks ago last Wednesday. Two days later Izmir was provided with a flat 'no' reply from Didim.

I freaked out - how on earth can they not allow me to do what I want with my own money????? I immediately contacted them and told them that this was not a REQUEST but an INSTRUCTION and told them to transfer immediately otherwise I would be down in Didim the next day and would close all the accounts on the spot.

They then said that one of the manager's was holding up the decision.

When I threatened them with writing about this experience on Turkish forums, they said they would do it but this type of action can only be done on a Friday - the transfer should have been done last week.

I checked today and STILL my accounts are sitting in Didim. So it goes on.

Just a word of caution to anyone who banks, or is considering banking with this branch, once your money is in, you will have a very hard time if you ever want to take it away from them.

kemerkid

Bystander
Frustrating I know but this is not just Turkey. Whilst I lived in the UK I moved to another town some ten miles away and had the same experience. I was however still able to carry on banking in the same old way in their other branch, only your account details are lodged in the original bank. Once you establish a relationship with your new branch you will find that you can carry on as usual, banking is banking and they don’t keep your actual bank notes for long, when you ask for a withdrawal they will just give you different notes even if you go back to Didim. Don’t let it get you down the customer is always right, except in banking.

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
Frustrating I know but this is not just Turkey. Whilst I lived in the UK I moved to another town some ten miles away and had the same experience. I was however still able to carry on banking in the same old way in their other branch, only your account details are lodged in the original bank. Once you establish a relationship with your new branch you will find that you can carry on as usual, banking is banking and they don’t keep your actual bank notes for long, when you ask for a withdrawal they will just give you different notes even if you go back to Didim. Don’t let it get you down the customer is always right, except in banking.

Thanks Pete .... here in Turkey there are certainly things you can only do at your own branch, apply for a credit card is one example.

I also noticed that even the contact I have in the Izmir branch was really quite surprised that Didim branch refused to transfer the accounts - they seem to understand that as the customer I should be entitled to bank where and at which branch is more convenient for me.

Do you do internet banking?..I ask because we easily transfered money from finansbank to our UK bank within a few days via internet.....of course you shouldnt have to do this to transfer from one branch to another but it may be an option,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
Do you do internet banking?..I ask because we easily transfered money from finansbank to our UK bank within a few days via internet.....of course you shouldnt have to do this to transfer from one branch to another but it may be an option,,,,,,,,,,,,,

All my banking is done online, Chrystalchris ... my property is up for sale in Didim and once sold, I don't plan to be in that region again and I don't want any ties down there.

As I mentioned previously, there are still some things that can only be done directly with your branch and that is another reason why it makes sense to have my local branch in my base city, Izmir.

The point is, it's my money and my choice to put my money wherever I want, I feel it's ridiculous that one branch is fighting my instructions - it's not as if I'm going to another bank altogether.

I agree with you entirely,,its your choice where you have your money,,,I just thought couldnt you transfer it all by internet to your branch in Izmir then although your accounts would still be open in Didim there would be no money in them,,,lol

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
I agree with you entirely,,its your choice where you have your money,,,I just thought couldnt you transfer it all by internet to your branch in Izmir then although your accounts would still be open in Didim there would be no money in them,,,lol

No - when they transfer the accounts, it's exactly that, a transfer. You keep the original account numbers, log in details etc, they don't open new ones in Izmir.

supra

Sirinyergirl,

You could just close your account down and re-open it again in another branch in İzmir if they absolutely refuse to move your account. The problem with Turkish banking over the past few years has been that branches have 'statistics' to keep and maintain which is why people are hassled also into investing money, etc. The only exception to this may be Zıraat Bankası I would guess, because it's state owned.

Otherwise you could write to a local branch of Finansbank in İzmir asking them to change the branch for you. You should submit this in person. This is what I've done with İş Bankası and have never had a problem but from what you have suggested you've done this... Perhaps you could contact head office and complain. If you state that their failure to resolve this problem has made you consider leaving Finansbank, I'm certain that would be quick in resolving it.

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
Sirinyergirl,

You could just close your account down and re-open it again in another branch in İzmir if they absolutely refuse to move your account. The problem with Turkish banking over the past few years has been that branches have 'statistics' to keep and maintain which is why people are hassled also into investing money, etc. The only exception to this may be Zıraat Bankası I would guess, because it's state owned.

Otherwise you could write to a local branch of Finansbank in İzmir asking them to change the branch for you. You should submit this in person. This is what I've done with İş Bankası and have never had a problem but from what you have suggested you've done this... Perhaps you could contact head office and complain. If you state that their failure to resolve this problem has made you consider leaving Finansbank, I'm certain that would be quick in resolving it.

Hi Supra,

Yes, I did do the formal request to the bank three weeks ago and two days later they came back with the 'no' response.

Unfortunately, I leave Turkey on Saturday to go back to Afghanistan and have committments here in Izmir that stop me from going to Didim over the next couple of days, so this may have to sit in limbo for the next three months until I come back :mad:

val2661

This would ring alarm bells with me. I had money stolen from my account by a Bank member who was taking money out of accounts and transferring it to her husband's account. She was also moving money about between members accounts. As you have internet banking and can view your balance I wouldn't say this was the case, but with me it's once bitten!

I hope you manage to get this matter sorted.

Val

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
Thanks Val .... no worries, I keep a regular eye on my accounts online and I'm sure there are no wrong doings going on in that respect - as Supra said, it seems to be a case of statistics ... branches vying with each other to have the most number of customers - in this case, to the detriment of a customer

Hilsjw

your are quite right, as we had the same trouble moving our account from Bodrum before they opened a branch of HSBC in Didim. After many requests to the Bodrum branch with no results, the Manager of the Didim branch had to 'phone Bodrum and then the problem was solved. So, maybe ask you branch Manager to to the same for you.

supra

I'm surprised that you need the permission of your branch. You shouldn't have to go to Didim at this point. They can do the lot from İzmir.

I have moved branches around various parts of Turkey and it has been completed instantly by submitting a written request to the branch at the place I was living at the time. No problems with either İş Bankası or Garanti, so perhaps its a problem with Finansbank...

Ann Wills

Oh Val that must have been scary for you. How was it resolved? and did she feel the full force of the law? and how did you find out about your monies? was it seen when you went on line that money was missing.

Sirinyergirl

Compulsive traveller
Well, well, well ......

after emailing the link to this thread two days ago ..... the account was transferred to Izmir TODAY!

It only took 3.5 weeks and wasted a lot of my time

Latest Posts

Top Bottom