GBH1962

A UK Car in Turkey, the story so far.
100 miles is a good distance to drive 2500 in four days is unsafe unless you have a team of drivers

GBH1962

Sorry only rich people can afford those sort of prices my most expensive car ever was a 5 year old Vauxhall Omega at £3500

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Sorry only rich people can afford those sort of prices my most expensive car ever was a 5 year old Vauxhall Omega at £3500
Mine was a senit
100 miles is a good distance to drive 2500 in four days is unsafe unless you have a team of drivers
100 miles you hardly warm the car up. I used to drive that and more a day then do a days work. I drove from one end of Spain to santander in a night 1000k. Its just what people are used to I know people who have come to Alanya in 3 days.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Have ridden south of france to woking , including ferry in 18 hours a CX500 . Repeated 500 mile days whilst working as a motorcycle courier , you can get your head around it no problem , you just need to concentrate .
Steve

Chasey

Thats hilarious :)

On an average working day, I drive 200-250miles round London and home again

I have driven 700miles in a day hundreds of times. Often I drive from Maidstone to West Inverness.

Chasey

Extremely dangerous and selfish driving and that's being polite

No its not polite at all and just because you cant do it safely doesn't mean others cant do it

I remember driving 300 miles to Plymouth, going out diving all day and driving 300 miles home that night in my younger years

Chasey

Which explains a lot

Driving 700miles in a sports car is hard work. In GT, yes no problem but not a proper sports car.

Older cars are simply more exhausting to drive. Frankly some cheep new cars are exhausting. I drove a couple hundred in my daughter's Toyota Aygo and it was awful. 80mph which is one finger on the starting wheel in a BMW530 is white knuckle speed in an Aygo.

Doing 700 miles in a modern BMW530 is easy. As it was in the Skoda Kodiaq. I did 800 miles in a Range Rover in one hit and went out deer stalking that afternoon it was so relaxed and comfortable. It's a bit like flying business class and flying economy in terms of the way you feel after the trip

The other issue is traffic. When I drive to Scotland I generally leave around 3-4am to get past the midlands before it all kicks off

Driving across Europe is so easy. Set cruise control at 80mph and stop for petrol, customs, and toll gates. that's about it.

GBH1962

Wow we have some drivers on here although not very safe ones it seems.One of course can do all manner of dangerous things but these aren't something you should advocate.500 miles in one day at 50mph is 10 hours driving and you haven't even stopped once it is sensible to stop at least once every couple of hours and stretch your legs at least.I certainly won't be looking for advice on driving off here that's for sure

Chasey

So the latest episode in driving a UK car in Turkey is sadly pretty negative.

We managed to get insurance for the car in Turkey from an Ankara-based company, which cost 1300tl for 6 months, so problem solved there, but the policy only has my wife's name on it??? So we are trying to sort that out. The insurers seem to think this s not a problem but I am not happy about it.

However, that's not the big story

In November we went to the customs office to inform them we would be going home for Christmas and leaving the car in Turkey. As you may remember at that time they fined us £30.00 or something for not letting them know the car had been brought in to Turkey???? A strange fine since our car details were taken at the border by customs when we entered the country.

Our UK/Turkish green card insurance runs out on the 18th of January, so we were told to revisit to extend our permission to stay. This again seemed odd as we shouldn't need permission to stay under the new govt guidelines. Once registered the car can stay for 2 years assuming you have residency.

So having duly notified Customs, we flew out to the UK for Christmas. No problems at the airport.

So yesterday we went to customs again as instructed armed with our new Turkish insurance policy. Once there I had to wait in the car as there was no parking space available and my wife went in with our interpreter. Amazingly once inside she was told we would be fined or leaving the country without the car and failing to inform them????? The fine is based on the value of the car rather than a fixed fine so our fine was 26,000tl???? as the car was valued at 2,100,000tl

My wife politely pointed out that we had informed customs.

They said prove it.

We showed the paperwork from our last visit but they said none of it was relevant. The customs officer started screaming and shouting at our Turkish interpreter when he pointed out he was there and was a witness to it all.

My wife and the interpreter were with a Russian and an Italian in the same room, both of whom were being fined equally mad amounts for the same offense, both of whom claimed they had properly informed the customs. We only knew this as our interpreter spoke Russian and Italian and ended up interpreting for them both.

The customs officers were very aggressive and shouted a lot and they reduced the Italian woman to tears.

We refused to pay and were trying to leave but the customs officers told us to negotiate a lesser fine and pay now.

HTF do you negotiate a fine??? its either a fine or it's not?

One of the others (whose car was in the pound) threatened to call some friends in the Turkish police and the car was amazingly released and she was free to go???

More pressure was brought to bear on my wife (cars in her name) to pay up, but she refused, and eventually against many objections and demands to "do a deal" she managed to leave.

How f@@incredible is that?? I knew Turkey was a bit corrupt but I had no idea the corruption was so bad in government offices.

We are now taking the issue to a higher authority and lodging a claim against the demand for payment.

Q: If we hadn't informed customs we were leaving the country, why weren't we stopped at the airport on the way to without our car?

Q: If we need to inform customs our car was here past 90 days, why have our friends NEVER informed customs yet done three trips in and out of Turkey in their car without issue despite staying several months at a time?

So lesson learned here. If you do anything at customs, take a photo of the documentation you give to them and preferably demand copies

SLEEPY

Now in fairness you were warned (post 13) but sorry to learn you are now having problems.

Chasey

Now in fairness you were warned (post 13) but sorry to learn you are now having problems.

We expected problems but as said before, this is an experiment in how to overcome them. Mind you, corrupt customs officials wasn't one of the problems we had expected :)

The fine can apparently be reduced by 50%????? so even if we had to pay, its not the end of he world just frustrating because its a false claim

Latest Posts

Top Bottom