sparrow

Nadine in disguise
A Turkish word a day (day 1) : Dünya
Hello all,

I have started the new series about a word a day

Today my choice is dünya, which means world

I did choose it because it is such a beautiful word, and this is something I did read along the road :

Türkiye'den dünya'ya ....... From Turkey to the world

So the suffix DEN or DAN means from (like in a direction in this case)
and to say to, you need the suffix "A" or "E", but in this case ,because dünya end with a vowel, you do have to add the letter "y" as a buffer letter

so that makes : dünya'ya

As for some other suffixes, in this case it is quiete simple

My world : dünyam
our world : dünyamız...
and also : dünyası (his world), or if you would like to say : the Türkish world : Türk dünyası
and dünyanın ..... like in dünyanın parası (all the money of the world, a lot of money)

In the wordl : dünyada ...... dünyada çok güzel şey var (in the world there are a lot of nice things)

There are a lot of combination to make with dünya but I stop here

Words I used :
para = money
şey = thing
güzel = nice, beautiful
and var , which means "there is"
Türk : Turkish ((not the language(, but the adjective, or the Turk as a person)

Any questions or reactions are welcomed .....

carolk

R.I.P
Thanks Nadine, what do the dots mean over the 'u', is it silent, and is the end of the word like saying yaya?

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Oeps Carol I do find that a difficult question....

No, the dottet ü-vowel is not silent , it is pronounced more or less like an ew sound , like in few or stew (do you know the word "gün", well it is the same ü ....)
and yes the end of the word is ya like saying yaya

For me it is rather difficult to give pronounciation guidelines, because English is not my native language, so I looked this up and I hope it makes sense

aysel

Three is ÜÇ[/B]in Turkish and most of you know Turkish numbers.Saying ÜÇ will make that sound easy to use with other words such as DÜNYA ,ÜLKE(country)ÜZGÜN (sad)ÜZÜM (GRAPE).

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom