kemerkid

Bystander
A true independent Scotland
Is there an English translation for this video, I only undersood two words of it and neither of them can be posted on here. And then there was the pianist, she was only playing six notes but still had to turn the page on her music sheet.

evo80

I reckon the Scots have watched Braveheart too many times and actually believe it was true.
Time to stop wearing that silly blue cross on their faces as well.

If people bothered to read the historical story ,there were as many Scots on the English side as were against them ,and there are clans who still are hated even now for their support of the English .What with M Gibson and the film the Patriot where as a yank he hated the English ,it will be 1776 all over again . He has a lot to answer for .

Akasya

Postless Pointer
I reckon the Scots have watched Braveheart too many times and actually believe it was true.
Time to stop wearing that silly blue cross on their faces as well.

Oh how i love to watch the blue hued supporters , going the eternal way of Ally's tartan army , i kn ow at least they went , but most in all honesty wish they had never bothered.

The Scots tears shed on Wembley Way are a continued joy to many.

Better together , always.

The differences make us stronger.

Steve

bickern

Although to be fair they by far carry the most support

56 MPs out of 59- 95% of the seats!!!!

Must be doing something right!!!

But that might prove the point further, that their hatred and racism is such that they will even vote SNP.

Just saying :p

Last edited:

Saoirse

But that might prove the point further, their hatred and racism is such that they will even vote SNP.

Just saying :p

I don't follow that at all

Voting SNP makes you racist????

As a general rule it's often those throwing the racist label about that are deflecting from their own bigotry

With the track record of some in the Tories/UKIP I reckon some of the Southern chinless wonders are more worthy of racist label than ordinary Scots

Saoirse

SNP leader says she will only press for an #IndyRef2, if the UK leaves the Single Market…

The biggest problem in tracking the progress of Brexit (and corollaries) is the fact we know so little about its shape, size and weight. Nicola Sturgeon has just announced her condition for seeking to trigger a second referendum is an exit from the single market.

So, it should be noted, the SNP leader is not going to have her party die in a ditch for membership of the EU alone.

The single market is a good retrenchment, not simply because it aligns nicely with UKLabour (or what’s left of it in Scotland), but because it would align nicely with the question.

Whilst a harsh Brexit would destabilise both the Euro and Sterling currency zones, it could also act as a passive permission to move into the EZ and away from Sterling, a choice that was deliberately blurred last time out by the Yes campaign itself.

Now, it’s not clear that the Mrs May would acceed to the First Minister’s request. It’s in the gift of the UK PM to grant or deny a second indyref so quickly after the first one.

But the strong ‘respect my mandate’ line from London Eurosceptics could easily be turned on them when the evidence is that Scottish voters never wanted to leave in the first place, a refusal might be harder than it might seem at first glance.

Unionist friends on the Brexit side of the EURef seemed convinced that Scottish voters would not choose economic turmoil over the stability of the Sterling Zone. But in making the Single Market the deal breaker, Sturgeon has subtly shifted the goalposts.

Besides, voting for Brexit on largely ideological grounds, kinda puts voting for iScotland on similar in play in ways it simply wasn’t in 2014. Not least because nationalism is now a mainstream concern for the UK.

That’s not to say it’s going to be a done deal. Referendum fatigue could pull out some odd reactions in the Scottish electorate. And as Professor James Mitchell notes, a resurgent Scottish Tory party could be more formidable than the fragmented UNionists last time.

In 2014, supporters of independence were doubly blessed by an impressive Yes campaign and a divided and relatively hapless, if better resourced, opposition. Next time it may be very different. Supporters of independence may struggle to repeat the levels of public engagement and high turnout achieved two years ago.

Their opponents may have learned lessons (though pro-EU campaigners appeared to have adopted many of the same crass Project Fear tactics adopted by Better Together despite evidence that support for the Union won despite these tactics).

While some commentators view the prospect of Ruth Davidson leading the campaign for the union as a gift for the SNP, it would be wrong to underestimate her campaigning abilities. If it was battle for the office of First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon would likely win easily but a referendum is different.

Ruth Davidson is weak when having to defend a position and would seek to avoid having to defend the union. Her strength lies in being on the offensive and she would have most of the Scottish media giving her uncritical support. Governing requires subtlety and nuance but campaigning is best done by crude, relentless focus.

Of course, this is all another reason for the UK government to pay a giant bung to keep access open and avoid the mess of another Scottish poll.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?

As a general rule it's often those throwing the racist label about that are deflecting from their own bigotry

With the track record of some in the Tories/UKIP I reckon some of the Southern chinless wonders are more worthy of racist label than ordinary Scots

You have been away too long Philip. The racist word has been bandied about on here by the tree huggers and PC brigade incessantly. Some cannot even post without using the word....:10:

Oh how i love to watch the blue hued supporters , going the eternal way of Ally's tartan army , i kn ow at least they went , but most in all honesty wish they had never bothered.

The Scots tears shed on Wembley Way are a continued joy to many.

Better together , always.

The differences make us stronger.

Steve

I choose to forget Ally's Tartan Army - what a pillock he was in wasting the best squad Scotland had in years. I much prefer to watch the replay of the 1967 Wembley match and the supreme skills of the one and only Jim Baxter. Keepie uppies in a serious competitive international match - never to be witnessed again.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
I was amazed , a truly brilliant squad ,so many players with international experience.

How could it go so wrong , a talent our squads share , so often.

Steve

Billy Joe

I choose to forget Ally's Tartan Army - what a pillock he was in wasting the best squad Scotland had in years. I much prefer to watch the replay of the 1967 Wembley match and the supreme skills of the one and only Jim Baxter. Keepie uppies in a serious competitive international match - never to be witnessed again.
I prefer to think of them dragging the goal posts and cross bar down Wembly way,by the way Widdy that was a friendly,ROTW v England.

bickern

Depends if you believe what some have reported, as below.

Well that surprises me Juco, I thought the scots would be the first to call themselves racist. Bu99er me.

Yes I am aware that newspapers sensationalise but...

The Porters made headlines in Scotland this week after claiming they can no longer cope with the level of hostility that blights the daily life of someone with an English accent living north of the border.
In the past few years, they say locals have twice vandalised their home. Strangers occasionally accuse them of ‘stealing’ jobs. On several occasions, during the recent debate over Scottish independence, Alison has been called an ‘English bitch’ and worse.

Savage racism turning Scotland into a no-go zone for the English* | Daily Mail Online

The worst form of racism in the UK is hatred of the English by people in Scotland, Ukip leader Nigel Farage has said.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/28/nigel-farage-english-victims-racism-uk-scotland

White Britons most at risk of racist attacks in Scotland

RACIST attacks in Scotland have increased by almost four per cent with white British people the most commonly targeted ethnic group.

New figures released show that Police Scotland recorded a total of 4,807 racist incidents in 2013-14–up by 3.9 per cent on the previous year.

A total of 5,626 people were the victims of such attacks, with white British people the most common ethnic group to be victims.

The statistics from Scotland’s Chief Statistician revealed that 1,423 white Brits were the complainers in such cases, up from 1,139 in 2012-13.

White Britons most at risk of racist attacks in Scotland | UK | News | Daily Express

Record number of 'racist' attacks on English in Scotland
Anti-English rhetoric is at risk of “creeping” into Scottish society after police reported a record number of racist attacks against white Britons, it has been claimed.

Scottish racism towards the English is the "biggest" form of racism in Britain, Nigel Farage claimed today.

"The biggest racism I have seen in British politics is happening north of the border where some of the anti-English hatred is reaching a truly astonishing level," he said during a campaign visit to Hartlepool.

Scottish hatred of English is 'biggest' racism says Nigel Farage - Westminster

Rise in 'white British' racism incidents in Scotland
White British people have become the most common ethnic group to be targeted in racist incidents in Scotland, according to new figures.
There was a rise of almost 4% of racist incidents in 2013/14, with much of that increase due to cases involving white people.
Police Scotland recorded a total of 4,807 such incidents, involving 5,626 people - up 3.9% on the previous year.

Rise in 'white British' racism incidents in Scotland - BBC News

I think you will find Police Scotland are not majority English

I agree that there are some in political parties in Westminster that are hardly blameless, be it UKIP or whatever.

Last edited:

Saoirse

It's a bit daft then to point the finger at SNP and cry racism when the Westminster ruling party aren't exactly inclusive nor their friends UKIP!!!!

Sha Hoorsur

Being Scottish and having lived in Scotland all my days i can categorically say that Scotland is not the place it once was. Thanks to the SNP it is thoroughly divided, its pitted family members against each other and i personally hate this horrible form of nationalism where everything is always someone else's fault. During our referendum, Scotland was thoroughly unpleasant and you did not feel safe for daring to have an alternative view point. You did not dare show your support for the status quo for fear of a brick through your window or worse.The anti English rhetoric was quite disgraceful, we all have family dispersed throughout the Uk, yet you were classed as a traitor and a scab for darling to state your preferred option of remaining part of the UK.
Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon have run Scotland into the ground in pursuit of their one and only goal - Independence. Our deficit is crippling, (nearly 30Bn over last two years) our NHS, Education, Police etc, all devolved matters, are in a terrible state as we have no government, we just have a a shouting shop in Edinburgh that blames England / Westminster for all our woes.I wish that we had a strong opposition in Scotland to really hold these nationalists to account - They are an embarrassment both here and in Westminster!

Scotland thoroughly divided, people dare not show support for the status quo for fear of a brick through their window. Really Pash!! Really!!!
You must live in a completely different part of Fife from me. Where I live, the more fervent amongst us were flying the Union Jack or the Satire from their houses; some were even flying the England flag. Never heard of a single incident of any damage to property. Is you are going to post rubbish like this about Scotland, especially in an International forum, may I suggest a small but significant change to your user name.
Substitute the “A” in Pash for an “I”

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
As a regular visitor to mainly East Lothian but not exclusively I have never felt that there was any pressure on when I speak with my slightly northern English accent, It could be because Im 6'2" and not far short around my chest but I prefer to think its my Glaswegian aristocratic ancestry, Im told My grandfather was a Laird in St. Georges in the field.
Either way never any mither, always feels safe to me wherever I go.

Martin

the bueman

Well here is where Scotland got its name......probably links into an earlier assertion that the Scottish hate the English.

Scoti or Scotti was a name used by Late Roman authors for the Irish. Scotland was named after Irish settlers from the 5th century on.

An early use of the word can be found in the Nomina Provinciarum Omnium (Names of All the Provinces), which dates to about A.D. 312. This is a short list of the names and provinces of the Roman Empire. At the end of this list is a brief list of tribes deemed to be a growing threat to the Empire, which included the Scoti.[1] There is also a reference to the word in St Prosper's chronicle of A.D. 431 where he describes Pope Celestine sending St Palladius to Ireland to preach "ad Scotti in Christum" ("to the Irish who believed in Christ").[2]
Thereafter, periodic raids by Scoti are reported by several later 4th and early 5th century Latin writers, namely Pacatus,[3] Ammianus Marcellinus,[4] Claudian[5] and the Chronica Gallica of 452.[6] Two references to Scoti have recently been identified in Greek literature (as Σκόττοι), in the works of Epiphanius, Bishop of Salamis, writing in the 370s.[7] The fragmentary evidence suggests an intensification of Scoti raiding from the early 360s, culminating in the so-called "barbarian conspiracy" of 367–8, and continuing up to and beyond the end of Roman rule c.410. The location and frequency of attacks by Scoti remain unclear, as do the origin and identity of the Gaelic population-groups who participated in these raids.[8] By the 5th century, the Gaelic kingdom of Dál Riata had emerged from Ulster, overtaking parts of western Scotland. As this kingdom grew in size and influence, the name was applied to all its subjects – hence the modern terms Scot, Scottish and Scotland.[9]

bickern

It's a bit daft then to point the finger at SNP and cry racism when the Westminster ruling party aren't exactly inclusive nor their friends UKIP!!!!

Actually it is elements within a party, so yes it is wrong to make a broad swiping statement at the whole. Membership wise there will be racists, bigots etc., in UKIP for instance but that does not make the whole party racist, so same will go for the SNP.

I have no actual experience of the UK in the present time, I have been here 11 years and only left here once, for a 3 week spell, a couple of years ago.

It could well be the media putting a spin on things, lets face it, they always do; but sometimes I listen to wee heck (edited media version) and she does come across as anti-English, not anti-Westminster. She comes across as if she would sell her granny down the river let alone the people of Scotland to leave the UK.

There has been an increase in violence towards the English according to the Scottish Police figure, so that has to be interpreted in some way.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom