de1amo

A question of fish and chips??
i am from izmir and am trying to pick the brains of people from another big metropolis---
Lots of my Turkish friends who travel or go to places like bodrum seem to enjoy fish and chips on their trips-i am always thinking i should start a shop here but people say the turkish are too traditional! they seem to like most junk food!
Do you have fish and chip shops in istanbul and how do they do? plus what fish (if any)- do they use?-i know i miss my fish and chips--and restaurant fish is a luxury!

ChrisBobs

Turkish too traditional vs they love junk food!
?????????
Two sides of the coin- so you better come down to Bodrum and try Sue's Fish n Chips one Friday night- for research purposes obviously!
:24:

Last edited by a moderator:

teosgirl

Greg,

The kitchenette restaurant in Agora, balcova, serve fish and chips, and it's quite an upmarket chain. However, the chips were like Mccy D's chips (ergh!) but it was served with tartare sauce.
My daughter has developed a bit of an obsession for fish and chips after our recent trip to the UK, if you hear of anywhere else in Izmir, or decide to open a restaurant let me know ; she'll be your best customer :)

Charlotte

de1amo

i know you brit 'chips' love them but in posh bostanli you have to appeal to their vanity lol-i could use a donnut fryer to start the trend!!!(if your not sure what that is --feel free to ask!)
İ would love to know what fish she uses --cant be cod this far from blighty!i am licking my lips at the thought of a successful fish and chip plaice with no rivals lol

barry budd

QPR MAN
Don't no what type of fish is used in turkey
but try this for the batter ,use flour lemonade or beer
must be fizzy
no water, Brilliant

Its usually 'Mezgit'.....the english is 'whitebait' I think.
there was a fish and chip shop opened up in the well off Etiler area of Istanbul years ago...at the back end of the 90's, I think thats what he was using. I dont know if hes still there. I dont think so.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Turkish too traditional vs they love junk food!
?????????
Two sides of the coin- so you better come down to Bodrum and try Sue's Fish n Chips one Friday night- for research purposes obviously!
:24:

Best fish and chips on the peninsula.

lynne

Sue was using hake for her fish.
The batter is wonderful and she makes that with beer.
Lynne

de1amo

still listening! seems we all like fish and chips lol i will send mrs de1amo out to get some whitebait for supper on Friday and invite a few unsuspecting Turkish people around! My step daughter and wife -both turkish- love the great british meal too- when we go to the uk.
i can see myself starting with a doughnut fryer in a small dukkan for good old tradditional fish and chips!!well a teacher has to keep active in the holidays and spread the British culture lol

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
The most important part of F&Chips is the batter - get that right and the other stuff is easy. Cod or Plaice will be extra special.

I think it is a good idea to do something different - if you do it well - rather than doing what everyone else does.

Ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
If you ask for Whitebait in the UK you'll get what's served as Hamsi in Turkey. i.e. very young fish no more than a couple of inches long usually dusted in seasoned flour and fried and eaten whole.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitebait[/ame] .

Mezgit Balığı or Morina Balığı are the closest you'll get to Cod. Apparently 90% of the Cod eaten in Turkey has been imported from fish farms in and around Norway.

For Plaice you need to ask for Pisi Balığı.

Last edited:

may

The best fish & chips in Oba Alanya are in Eden bar Jez even do's mushy peas with it.

zozatky

Next time you venture a little south call in to The Salt Box in Kusadasi, To me its the best lb for lb meal there fish n chips & mushy peas.
They tend to use mainly cod ,but on occasions they will use coley. Still its very good the chef has got a great batter recipe & uses fresh oil see picy

Attachments

• PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 23
If you ask for Whitebait in the UK you'll get what's served as Hamsi in Turkey. i.e. very young fish no more than a couple of inches long usually dusted in seasoned flour and fried and eaten whole.

Whitebait - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Mezgit Balığı or Morina Balığı are the closest you'll get to Cod. Apparently 90% of the Cod eaten in Turkey has been imported from fish farms in and around Norway.

For Plaice you need to ask for Pisi Balığı.

My mistake. mezgit translates as 'whiting' not whitebait. Been here so long Im losing my English.
Its a small member of the cod family but for me it doesnt compare to a nice chunky atlantic cod that you get in English chippies, and Ive never seen such cod in Turkey. Dont know if someones importing it in one of the tourist resorts, but Id find it hard to believe!
Yes, most of the mezgit is imported from Norway...I used to like going down to the quayside in Eminönü in Istanbul for a balık ekmek from one of the boats and was disappointed when I learned this.

hijo

in my own clique
.. i love devilled whitebait head and all ..coat your whitebait with flour chilli,salt ,pepper ..and deep fry, also deep fry some parley and sprinkle over .add some lemon juice..whitebait ,sardine ,and herring are all the same fish ..just different growth stages..:31:

maadi

People of Turkish like to eat trendy food. they are so much tasty and touchy about food. I think in Marmara with fish, batter and chips are better.

After eating all this what about Turkish cuisine??

Latest Posts

Top Bottom