zozatky

A quaint turkish custom.!!
Its getting near to that time of year ..Quaint Turkish Custom?

We wondered if anyone else has observed the following........
Each year we watch our neighbours carefully dig over their gardens in winter. purchase new topsoil and fertiliser and then in the spring plant out their seeds or small plants. All through the spring and summer they carefully tend to them, watering, pruning, weeding etc. and then sit on their balconies to admire their progress and reap the rewards of all their hard work.
Then come the end of September/October they grudgingly leave their houses and gardens to return to their jobs and lives in cities all over Turkey and beyond.
Then it begins....... !!!!!
Gangs of middle aged perfectly respectable looking people suddenly appear as if by magic. They look over fences and peer into all the corners of the gardens remaking to each other on the size and quality of the flowers, plants, fruits and vegetables. Then without warning they are through the gates or over walls to emerge a liitle later clutching apron and carrier bags full of fruits and veg or armfulls of flowers or plants. A quick look round and they are off to the next garden.
I am sure our neighbours would be happy that their efforts are so much appreciated, but must be somewhat dissapointed that so many of their plants fail to prosper after all their efforts!!!
We call these gangs
~ THE GARDEN INVADERS ~
Watch out there could be a gang operating in your area now!!!!!!
Hold on to your p.p.p.p. PANSEYS

PS Someone somewhere in Kusadasi has the best garden in Turkey
You have been warned

Bubskar

A good observation but a common practice here in Turkey. Picking a few flowers and cuttings from other peoples gardens is a practice that Turks do all the time and is acceptable. That is why Turkish gardens are so pretty. If they like the look of something and there is no one to ask they will take them. I think we Europeans are too polite and that is why we are always surprised about such things and see it as being rude and cheeky. As long as people don't totally strip someone's garden, I don't see the harm. Knowing this, I myself have snapped one or two cuttings from gardens or asked neighbours for bits and pieces.

Last week I actually observed a lady pinching some plants that the Belediye had inexhaustably laid down along the main road to the resort. They looked beautiful - all in a row (like they do). She blatantly walked along choosing which ones to grab and put them in her carrier bag. It was obvious though that other people had had a go because there were small "bald" areas within the planting.

Like you say, there is a reason why so many Turkish Gardens look so good - it's called sharing and it puts another meaning on the expression what goes around comes around!

carolk

R.I.P
My nieghbours don't like it and they are very caring, sharing people!!! As I live here all year they tell me to run them off and I do - its called stealing - going onto someones private property to take something without asking. They come armed with plenty of carrier bags. Some do go away for weeks at a time and its not funny for them to come back and find all their fruit an veg gone!

kaplumba

Mine don't like it either and they call it stealing. Most of them would share anything with you but would hate it if anyone helped themselves. I was warned about this by them and told to make sure I put all my terrace items away before I leave. Too late as after the first winter I came back to find items screwed to the wall like thermometers etc had gone. Apparently people go round all the holiday homes at the end of the season and help themselves to anything left out on the terrace. This year I found some plants had gone and I spotted my huge cactus in a garden down the road. I'm not going to rock any boats by asking for it back but it is annoying. I don't begrudge anyone a few cuttings but it seems some take it to extremes.

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
In our area our neighbours have homemade signs on string that they hang from trees (for the olive stealers) and garden gates. Translated they are asking telling people not to steal their goods.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom