A peach of a lesson.
We had a similar experience a few years ago.

We were helping to organise a packhouse and staff in cherry packhouse in Uluborlu, which is a small town near Isparta.

My wife was training some young ladies basic quality control procedures.

One day a pallet of fruit arrived in the packhouse. My wife called out that the peaches had arrived. There was a stunned silence. Then it was pointed out to the workers that this was the English name for the fruit. This was followed by howls of laughter as about 100 workers collapsed in hysterics.

It is a fruit which we will never forget its Turkish name.

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
A peach of a lesson.
Oh dear...but it did make me laugh! Now I know not to ask for a peach - I may get a slap instead. So Joe how did you get out of the predicament? Was it a 9 year old who told you what a pic really was & if so how did they know the English word for it?
Carol

A peach of a lesson.
Oh dear...but it did make me laugh! Now I know not to ask for a peach - I may get a slap instead. So Joe how did you get out of the predicament? Was it a 9 year old who told you what a pic really was & if so how did they know the English word for it?
Carol

I figured out something was wrong by the... well I was going to say sniggering but it was more by the gales of laughter.

I got the details off my wife when I got home.

And what did I do? I carried on regardless.

Howell's

A peach of a lesson.
and sick means ''f**k'' !!!!!!!!
Whıch ı learnt when ı went round my frıends house and her baby was sıck on the floor.
when ı told the grandmother who was holdıng her. she just stared at me ın shock,, as ı spoke englısh and the only word she understood was sıck..
Her husband explaıned what ı saıd so now ı say ill.

A peach of a lesson.
and sick means ''f**k'' !!!!!!!!
Whıch ı learnt when ı went round my frıends house and her baby was sıck on the floor.
when ı told the grandmother who was holdıng her. she just stared at me ın shock,, as ı spoke englısh and the only word she understood was sıck..
Her husband explaıned what ı saıd so now ı say ill.

Hah..yes that another one to avoid...and this one serves to show that you have to get your vowels right
Sık means often ..sık sık very often ..dont say it seek..its undotted I
Sik is the rude one and its pronounced seek ...its dotted İ

İ could tell you some stories about the times ive mispronounced and mixed up those two ...oof

A peach of a lesson.
Hah..yes that another one to avoid...and this one serves to show that you have to get your vowels right
Sık means often ..sık sık very often ..dont say it seek..its undotted I
Sik is the rude one and its pronounced seek ...its dotted İ

İ could tell you some stories about the times ive mispronounced and mixed up those two ...oof

Yes!! and how about the verbs "to bore" and "to f**k"!! The difference is the same undotted/dotted i - extremely easy to get wrong, as I know to my cost!:wow:

Firebrand

A peach of a lesson.
The other one to avoid is the word 'um' when hesitating. I have trained myself to say 'err' instead.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom