Martyn

A new love in my life
I've been working on her today to get her ready for the off roading I have in mind. I will be working on her all week, better than a real job :hail:

Does anyone else have a Defender or go off roading/green laning?

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Martyn

A new love in my life
Basically it's going along all the public byways that exist in the uk. Mostly alongside farmland but are open to vehicles, often overgrown and unkempt by the council.

Here's one in the Lake District

Last edited:

v6cod

Living in Okcular
A new love in my life
I drive a 59 plate Defender 110 for my job, Park Ranger, and I use it most of the time off road but it doesn't float my boat I'm afraid.

The new one I have is better than the 55 plate they just got rid of it has a quieter engine (2.4 Ford Diesel) with a 6 speed box and a better heater. But I find it cramped to drive.

Martyn

A new love in my life
Never driven a 110, yes they are very basic and mine will be more basic than a new one but it does what I want. I've always had new cars(last 33 years a company car driver) so it is good to work(and drive) an older car again. I'm 6 foot and don't find it cramped at all.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
A new love in my life
I was a member of the AWDC in Kent in the early 70s. Didn't have my own motor but used to navigate for my boss who had one that he'd built himself from loads of bits and pieces.

We used to do a lot of "straight-lining". Draw a straight-line between 2 points about 10 miles apart, and see who could get from A to B the quickest. Many of the local landowners were members of the club or supporters so we had lots of farmland that we could drive straight through.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
A new love in my life
Hi Martyn

i used to green lane on a honda xr600 it had enough torque to pull land rovers out of ditches ! it needed it to get me around !

I really enjoyed it, living in the high peak is a bonus as we have many many boats rupps etc, i still have all my marked maps for the area.

Sadly the local councils were given instruction to re classify many of the legal roads to pacify the weekend city walkers and the horsey brigade, have thought about getting another but probably not a good idea now !

martin

Martyn

A new love in my life
This week I'll be fitting a snorkel which basically is an air filter that runs up the side of the car and allow you to go deeper into rivers for crossing. Got two new rock/tree sliders so the side doesn't get damaged in tight areas with immoveable objects. I've also go steering & diff guards to fit again for protection. Over the last week I've fitted a new radio/cd player and cb radio. A few other bits and pieces and i'm good to go.:hail:

Martyn

A new love in my life
Hi Martyn

i used to green lane on a honda xr600 it had enough torque to pull land rovers out of ditches ! it needed it to get me around !

I really enjoyed it, living in the high peak is a bonus as we have many many boats rupps etc, i still have all my marked maps for the area.

Sadly the local councils were given instruction to re classify many of the legal roads to pacify the weekend city walkers and the horsey brigade, have thought about getting another but probably not a good idea now !

martin

Yes some of the councils have let them go so they don't have to maintain them. Plus of course there are green laners not conforming to the rules and giving us a bad name. One of our members is part of the green laning association(glass) so all our ventures adhere strictly to the rules using os maps and checks with the council to ensure they are still open and not shut down for maintenance. It's great fun being out for 8 hours or so and a couple in the pub afterwards. Also some long weekends away camping and b&b.

We also me a couple of bikers out a few weekends ago in the high winds high up on a track, driving rain :crazy:

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
A new love in my life
Yes some of the councils have let them go so they don't have to maintain them. Plus of course there are green laners not conforming to the rules and giving us a bad name. One of our members is part of the green laning association(glass) so all our ventures adhere strictly to the rules using os maps and checks with the council to ensure they are still open and not shut down for maintenance. It's great fun being out for 8 hours or so and a couple in the pub afterwards. Also some long weekends away camping and b&b.
Our local councils were the same as there is a lower level of committment to maintain a public footpath, I was a member of the trail riders fellowship and had access to all the legit maps, i spent time in public libraries checkin out the definitive maps and like you tried to ride completely legally.
we were once stopped by a traffic cop who had no idea what a rupp was and told us we riding on private land, while we explained to him that we were correct, there were horses and cars passing us
I double checked with the council r.o.w officer who confirmed we were in the right but what can you do ?

one of the reasons i never went back to it, the other main reason was i kept falling of, was always cold and wet and if it was ever going to snow we would be at the extremes of our ride, but like you it was the couple in the pub that made it a day.

martin

Martyn

A new love in my life
Our local councils were the same as there is a lower level of committment to maintain a public footpath, I was a member of the trail riders fellowship and had access to all the legit maps, i spent time in public libraries checkin out the definitive maps and like you tried to ride completely legally.
we were once stopped by a traffic cop who had no idea what a rupp was and told us we riding on private land, while we explained to him that we were correct, there were horses and cars passing us
I double checked with the council r.o.w officer who confirmed we were in the right but what can you do ?

one of the reasons i never went back to it, the other main reason was i kept falling of, was always cold and wet and if it was ever going to snow we would be at the extremes of our ride, but like you it was the couple in the pub that made it a day.

martin

Well I wouldn't do it on a bike, the bad weather makes it all the better. They are legal roads so the police can check on insurance, tax etc.

are defenders not a nightmare on the fuel?

Around 28mpg, just testing at the moment. It's a 2.5 diesel engine max speed about 82mph. It cruises at about 55mph. We have a couple of other cars as well so it's mainly a toy.

Tess

A new love in my life
Martyn, I hope you have many happy days out and about doing what you want now you have a newly found freedom.
I love the Defender in the Burgundy colour, to be honest burgundy is a rare colour over here for Defenders, green is the predominant colour.
I much prefer the burgundy.
Enjoy yourself and above all take care.

Martyn

A new love in my life
I will Sharon. I'm hoping to do this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53PumbeAImI]YouTube - defender 90 in river[/ame]

Tess

A new love in my life
Phewww!!! Martyn, scary and brave all at one go. Wouldn't mind a go at that LOL!!! Take care. xx

REDDERS

A new love in my life
In my 1st business in the early '80s,a windscreen replacement company,i had room in my premises for a showroom so opened the 1st off road/4wd accesory shop in west norfolk.I picked just the right time as many of my windscreen customers who were joining the growing 4wd trend came to us for nearly everything the needed to either customise or get into off roading.At the same time i bought the very 1st Vauxhall Frontera 2.3tdi lwb in Norfolk(DONT LAUGH),i know the L/R brigade believes nothing off roads as good as sollihuls finest & i agree,but for general O/R use the vauxhall kept up with the best of them.It was in bright red emblazened with A10 WINDSCREENS & LEAP FROG 4x4 ACCESORIES logos & had virtually every goody i sold fitted to it,including a jack up kit,larger wheels,snorkel.....& the list goes on.It was a fantastic mobile advertising machine & was used by the local vauxhall dealer at every static car show & every xmas at the turning on of the xmas lights in our town we took father christmas around town at the head of the main procession.
Unfortunatley after all the off roading with only slight damage,i virtually totalled it on a country lane,in the wet,not making a 90 left,straight on into the warning chevrons on the grass verge & 'bending' a wooden electric pole,putting a village without power for most of the night...me,luckily no prosecution,but i honestly cried for 2 hours at destroying my pride & joy.So i went back to road & stage rallying in a mk1 mexico...cheaper to repair & quicker round the bends of norfolk!!!

Martin.

Martyn

A new love in my life
Martyn, I hope you have many happy days out and about doing what you want now you have a newly found freedom.
I love the Defender in the Burgundy colour, to be honest burgundy is a rare colour over here for Defenders, green is the predominant colour.
I much prefer the burgundy.
Enjoy yourself and above all take care.

Thanks Sharon. Believe or not I bought it on Ebay from someone near Edinburgh then had it transported down on a trailer.

A new love in my life

We have a couple of other cars as well so it's mainly a toy.

Blimey Martyn
You are getting to sound like Chris Evans!!
Well I have a few other ones stashed away for special occasions Lol!!
Great stuff and enjoy it!!
I have only got as far as Go-Karting so far but would love to have a go.
My Peugeot isnt up to off road yet Lol

REDDERS

A new love in my life
Martyn,i can understand where you are coming from,it's a bug is motorsport,i started in the late 60s marshalling at Brands Hatch,got my car license,tried circuit sprints & found i was not consistent enough to keep taking the same corners lap after lap correctly,i'd either come in too fast & brake too late or just keep taking the wrong line etc,so i went into rallying where anything goes!.During my break from rallying i tried off roading.
With the AWD brigade it was always a fun day out,everyone helped out each other & dispensed plenty of help to the newbies. In the 2 years i participated between rallying i had great fun & made many new friends,sadly in Norfolk green laneing got to be a no-no,as many farmers dug up their lanes to extend their fields,so the Mid Norfolk O/R Club & Breckland L/R Owners Club found a massive field with a small lake,built large mounds,dug very deep holes (& part filled them with water) & even built a 'circuit'around the perimiter of the field.We always had a great time,exchanged tekkie info & helped fettle each others motors.
Have fun in your 'new toy'.......ah those were the days..................

Martin.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom