Status
Not open for further replies.

mitzen

Mitzen
A home for our animals
As we are returning to england, it is with great regret we have to find new homes for our animals.

Kaya a large male german shepherd (has been chipped) is 5 years old.
Maya a spaniel mix (has been spayed) she is 2 1/2 years old,
smokie a white and tabby male cat (has been chipped and neutered)
he's is very quite and placid.
Mitzy is a ginger and white male cat (has been neutered) and just loves to be cuddled.

Please help and give them a kind loving home, as they are like our kids to us, as it is impossible to take them back to england.
I would lovethe 2 dogs to stay together, if it were possible as they love each other so much.
The same with the cats.

I can send photo's if you PM me your e-mail address.
Please contact karen and joe via their profile

Last edited by a moderator:

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
A home for our animals
Here we go again...... Your pets are like your children eh? Would you leave/rehome your children? :nono: :mmph:

Take them back with you and put their quarantine on a credit card - then take your time to pay it back. :clap2:

There are millions of unwanted animals over here - trying to find a new home for 'beloved' (but not beloved enough) pets is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. :mad:

goldmattymiss

goldmattymiss
A home for our animals
Hi having just gone through the same thing myself I dont hold out much hope for you ,But please do not get to upset at the negative remarks that you will recieve ,yes life would be easy if we could all just put them on the credit card and pay it back slowly but life is not always that easy for some of us !! .As of yesterday my Cherkin went to a friend and the other cat will be kept in the local cat shelter for the next 5 month they then will be moved to holland for a further 6 month this was the only route we could take as direct quarantine for 2 cats was way out of our league. we can then pick them up and take them to the UK .over the last few weeks I have even thought about having them gently put to sleep so that they will not be left on the streets so I really do understand what a hard time this is for you .
I wish you all the luck in finding them homes and please do not be put off or upset by the replys you might recieve ,there will also be lots of suport in there .xxxxxx

Last edited:

judi

Is the sun shining?
A home for our animals
I know this wont be a popular view but here goes ...whilst I do appreciate how difficult it must be for anyone who finds themselves in this position I feel it is about responsibility. Yes, we are talking about animals not children but if the owners dont take responsibility then someone else has to or the animals are put out on the street.
Without thinking about the fate of individual animals who have been in a home, provided for then left to fend for themselves, this adds to the burden of street animals or the shelters which care for them with, often, minimal funding and volunteer staff.
We have 5 cats (although we are dog people so I dont know how that happened!) and when we move to Turkey we will take them with us. We have started saving to meet the costs. I know sometimes circumstances mean this isnt possible but where there's a will there's often a way.
One possibility could be to see if a shelter could take the animals and the owner pay for their keep until they are rehomed although I think the shelters are usually full to bursting.

judi

Is the sun shining?
A home for our animals
Yes I agree with you about planning and your view that its better to leave them in the UK, rehomed as you say. We are saving towards any costs we think we might incur including bringing the little blighters back if we returned to UK.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
A home for our animals
Hi Theres the cost of vacs and passport is around £150 also rabbies jab . This is per animal . However if things don't work out The average cost of quarentine is £3.000 Per animal . Thats £15.000 for 5 cats .I have already contacted Turkish Customs last year also Defra . Plus theres the air fare approx £300 each and approved crates start at around £50 each . Two animals cannot travel in one crate . I own a corgi and a shiz zue . My main concern is the quarentine I didn't buy my dogs to have them locked up for 6months . Getting them to Turkey is the easy part . Getting them out is the Trouble . Then theres the heat to consider . Bonnie the shih zue loves hot weather But Benji can't cope !!! So will you consider all the facts befor bringing the cats ?? And as i.ve said getting them home is expensive I feel for Mitzen with 2 cats and 2 dogs . as thats £12.000 quaentine plus air fare and i hope someone will take them on ...Diane

saffie

Saffie
A home for our animals
I also hope mitzen manages to rehome her animals.

It's all very well people saying "stick it on your credit card" and certainly some people could afford to do this. I certainly couldn't and if I were unfortunate enough to be in this situation,doubt I could get a credit card with no credit history in Uk anyway.

I do wish some people wouldn't be so judgemental.

I'm an ardent animal lover but sometimes people find themselves in difficult situations and,with the best will in the world,are unable to continue to care for an animal in the way they would like to.

In my very humble opinion,the little pup I took on when she had nowhere to go and was destined to be another statistic is very well cared for and got a far better start in life than she would have if she'd been left in the bin(as she was). If I ever found I couldn't continue to care for her,I would do my utmost to find her a very good home.

I wish mitzen well in her quest. I'm sure she/he is upset enough without being pilloried for trying to do the best for the animals concerned.

saffie

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
A home for our animals
Why does the UK have this six month quarantine anyways? There must be a better way. I would think most issues would arrive in three months or less, isn't it an extreme amount of time?

Biker Bob

Gin&Tonic

A home for our animals
Why does the UK have this six month quarantine anyways? There must be a better way. I would think most issues would arrive in three months or less, isn't it an extreme amount of time?

Biker Bob

That's something that's always puzzled me. I showed one of my dogs at Crufts and there were dogs there from all over the world, so how did they avoid quarantine?

flowerpotman

No Clique just Creak
A home for our animals
Not being judgemental on the reasons why if all else fails have a look at the Türkan Dağdelen thread in the cafe and contact her . I know she will take the dogs and cats as she doesnt turn anyone away.

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
A home for our animals
I think you are being responsible. You are taking the trouble to try and find homes for them and not just dumping them on the street. Very unfortunate circumstances. They won't give two hoots where they are , as long as they are getting fed. You will be more bothered than they will be.

Jeannie

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
A home for our animals
Not being judgemental on the reasons why if all else fails have a look at the Türkan Dağdelen thread in the cafe and contact her . I know she will take the dogs and cats as she doesnt turn anyone away.
.... and such a nice easy option for people to just pass the responsibility for their pets onto someone else. :(

Türkan Dağdelen is a wonderful lady - I am full of admiration for her and hope that everyone in that area gives her full support. Her shelter looks great - but how on earth does she manage to feed them all? Let's hope she gets lots of cash from people who leave their 'beloved pets' behind when they return to the UK - but somehow I doubt it. :mmph:

I see it first hand - dogs which arrive in our 'shelter' - they're generally not young, if they are pedigree, they have a small chance of finding a new home - often with Turkish people, who as we know, do not generally treat their pets in the same way that Brits do; the dogs are totally bewildered and you can read in their eyes "What did I do so wrong that my owner should leave me here?" A great reward for the years of love and loyalty they have given eh? :mad2:

You cannot put a 'home' dog out on the streets, so it's life becomes the responsibility of the shelter volunteers. THANKS VERY MUCH! :mmph:

It's so easy to be pleasant and non-judgemental if you don't personally have to deal with this type of situation - if you did, then maybe you would feel as I do :ranting:

flowerpotman

No Clique just Creak
A home for our animals
Valian Thanks for your input. I just felt that we should look at the end result. The dogs wont find new homes in Koycegiz so the better and only option is to put them with somebody that will look after them.

Quote" It's so easy to be pleasant and non-judgemental if you don't personally have to deal with this type of situation - if you did, then maybe you would feel as I do "

You know nothing about me what i have done for stray dogs or anything. I feel that rather that slag people off on the forum it is better to pm them in private with your thoughts if you feel the need. Hence my comment about not being judgemental rather that we solve the problem before the animals have to fend for themselves. ( not that I think they would have to as I have given an option)

kernowians

A home for our animals
I agree entirely with what you have just said. The problem is that there are too many do gooders that have not been in the position that this lady is in with her animals. I wonder how they would feel if the "boot was on the other foot"?

Tracey3

A home for our animals
Valian, along with a few other volunteers do an excellent, unpaid and sometimes thankless task for the street dogs of Altinkum and surrounding areas. She has personally paid to neuter dogs and also feeds a great many in Denizkoy. It's just a shame that the Didim Council have had to withdraw funding for the neuter and release scheme.

Good luck to the original poster in finding homes for her animals in Turkey.

kernowians

A home for our animals
Not finding a problem with that - but why try and make somebody feel bad about something they probably have no control over.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
A home for our animals
Mmmm for the lady planning to bring 5 cats - the practicalities are very difficult. I may be wrong but most airlines will only allow 1 animal per person and often put a limit of 2 animals per flight.

We found taking our cats across Turkey by coach the worst experience of our lives - they were incredibly distressed - so we could never put them through a flight across the world.

I love my cats. I love animals. But they are not humans. They will adapt to new owners and 'forget' you until they see you again. I know cos I have been estranged from my girls for 16 months and just visited them - they were happy and loved their adopted family - but they remembered us and showed us great affection. They will carry on and live their lives till one day we return - it is us two daft buggers who miss them and mourn. Soft sod that I am have set myself off just talking about it!!!

Angela Stansfield

Non Active Member
A home for our animals
Has anyone thought that it might be possible that the original poster didnt bring these animals with her/him????? It is possible that they were adopted her off the streets here!

I am presently feeding about 30 street cats and two dogs. Should I find myself pennyless and broke, and forced to return to the UK, would I get the same thrashing?

I think the quarantine laws in England are over zealous and the cost makes it impossible for some to even consider this option. Its very sad.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
A home for our animals
This is just my humble opinion. When you take on the responsibilities of becoming a pet owner you take them on for life. You should look at them as family and care for them until death. I have only had to re-home one pet and that was because I am not allowed to bring it with me because of laws. I tried many ways but had no choice. My poodle is not "LIKE" family, she is family. If we go away to North America for a 2 week or more vacation she comes with us, other options are not acceptable. People need to be more responsible for their actions and not treat these wonderful animals as "THINGS".....Man Up and be responsible or don't even bother from the beginning.

Biker Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom