Andy

A Fishy Tail
Fishy Story

Forget about Dog Bites Man. Relegate Man Bites Dog to the back pages. Today we are dealing with Fish swallows dog, an item which reaches us by way of Moscow.

The dog was swimming across the Pechora River to join its master when it vanished, leaving only a ripple. The dog's master, who was fishing at the time, hauled in his net and found it contained a giant pike. He looked closely at its mouth and there he could see the end of a tail.
Yes, it was Fido (or the Russian equivalent). The dog struggled out after the fish was cut open, and, according to Radio Moscow, hurled itself at the pike, "barking excitedly."

It is often difficult for fishermen to tell stories about the one that got away. In this case, Radio Moscow notwithstanding, will it be any easier to tell about the one that didn't? :fish2:

Andy

chesney

yes I am a girl lol
A Fishy Tail
My mum was born and raised in Lichfield where there is a large pond called stowe pool, I have heard many stories about dogs going missing while swimming in the pool at the hands of a pike

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
A Fishy Tail
LOL....Fished very large Pike for years and they don't eat dogs. Even a hugh one would only be big enough to eat a smaller cat. I have tested to see how big their mouths can get and on a large one I could just fit my fist into it's mouth. It was a great fish tale though....lol
Bob

v6cod

Living in Okcular
A Fishy Tail
A real fishy tale, it must be real it was in "The Sun" :lol:

AN angler was IMPALED by a 14ft marlin and hurled into the sea with the 3ft spike still embedded in his chest.

Ian Card, 32, was hunting the huge fish in a tournament off Bermuda when a fellow angler on his boat hooked the 800lb monster.

The marlin leaped from the water, flew right across the deck and speared Ian just below his collarbone.

He was knocked off the boat by the impact, with the marlin struggling to free itself from the hook.

Plucky Ian eventually wrenched himself off the spike and surfaced 50ft behind the boat with blood pumping from a fist-sized wound.

He was hauled back on board and rushed to hospital where he was said to be in a stable condition yesterday.

Doctors said that if the blue marlin’s spike had hit him a fraction to either side, it would have pierced his heart or lung and killed him.

Ian’s horrified dad Alan, 58, who was also on the vessel, said yesterday: “The fish all of a sudden changed direction and jumped. It made a leap and Ian just happened to be in the way. I lost sight of him for a few seconds, then he surfaced.”

He and Ian are both expert anglers and live in Bermuda.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
A Fishy Tail
Hi Superbogs,
Pike do not eat dogs but tend to pull them under where they get drowned. Being a Russian Pike if the dog was a Yorkie or a St Petersburg (the russian equivalent of a Yorkshire terrier I assume!) then it would not be much bigger than a cat size wise. I have seen in a local pond a dog dragged under and heard like Ches, many stories of it happening. However, I agree with you that Pike do not eat dogs no more than my dog eats 'Fishy Flakes'.

MKC

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
A Fishy Tail
hEHHEEEEEEE :lol:
Those flakey things I remember sprinklking on me fairground gold fishy years ago Tony......and when he started floating belly up wondering if I had overfed him! Do you think that 'Fishy Flakes' the breakfast cereal for your dog would catch on?.......oooh gross have just remembered having to feed the goldfish in Junior school ants eggs...... :w00t: why on earth would you feed a fish something he is never likely to come across in his lifetime? I must check that one out with the 'Wise One' before I finish my post. OK makes sense to me now???????? :lol:

mkc

tonytg

Wishing on a star
A Fishy Tail
madturkishcow said:
hEHHEEEEEEE :lol:
Those flakey things I remember sprinklking on me fairground gold fishy years ago Tony......and when he started floating belly up wondering if I had overfed him! Do you think that 'Fishy Flakes' the breakfast cereal for your dog would catch on?.......oooh gross have just remembered having to feed the goldfish in Junior school ants eggs...... :w00t: why on earth would you feed a fish something he is never likely to come across in his lifetime? I must check that one out with the 'Wise One' before I finish my post. OK makes sense to me now???????? :lol:

mkc

Glad I gave you a laff MTC, getting senile in ma old age !!!! I remember the fishy flake food now - i often used to win a goldfish at the annual fair and of course I'd end up buying the fish food (flakey stuff) but it used to annoy me as the fish never seemed to last a year - those crafty fair johnies I reckon used to hand out duff ones so you'd get another one next year....... :der:

Last edited:

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
A Fishy Tail
A year Tony????? :w00t:
Blimey mine were lucky to survive a trip home in a plastic bag on a hot summers day and an evening swimming around a jam-jar! I do have a success story tho. One lucky goldfish called 'Goldie '- how original, was popped into the garden pond and actually survived four or five years before being eaten by the flaming cat!!!!! Admitedly this was in the early eighties when the goldfish prizes were coming under the watchful eye of 'Animal Rights' and such groups. Mother very kindly puts her pennyworth in with the fact that years ago.......the kids would give some strange man empty jam jars on the street and receive a gold fish in return!

mkc

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
A Fishy Tail
I have 3 goldfish aged 20yrs, fed on fish flakes and twice a week get mashed processed peas, which they love.

tonytg

Wishing on a star
A Fishy Tail
Struggs said:
I have 3 goldfish aged 20yrs, fed on fish flakes and twice a week get mashed processed peas, which they love.

Jeez, more than the kids get !! :lol:

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
A Fishy Tail
Hey thats brilliant Struggs....but were they Fairground Fishes? Now who says that Fish, Chips ans mushy peas dont go together? :lol:

mkc

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
A Fishy Tail
Nope, my ex bought them, and I kinda got left them (not through choice) in the divorce settlement :lol:

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
A Fishy Tail
Aww Struggs that was a better deal than what I got....I got the dog and two kids! :lol: :lol: :lol: none of em like mushy peas tho :der:

mkc

tonytg

Wishing on a star
A Fishy Tail
madturkishcow said:
Hey thats brilliant Struggs....but were they Fairground Fishes? Now who says that Fish, Chips ans mushy peas dont go together? :lol:

mkc

Oh!, my aching sides!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jcrian

A Fishy Tail
madturkishcow said:
Hi Superbogs,
Pike do not eat dogs but tend to pull them under where they get drowned. Being a Russian Pike if the dog was a Yorkie or a St Petersburg (the russian equivalent of a Yorkshire terrier I assume!) then it would not be much bigger than a cat size wise. I have seen in a local pond a dog dragged under and heard like Ches, many stories of it happening. However, I agree with you that Pike do not eat dogs no more than my dog eats 'Fishy Flakes'.

MKC

Giant catfish scares tourists

A giant catfish is frightening tourists at a Centerparcs holiday park in Holland.

catfishnv2.jpg

The 2.3 metre European catfish eats two or three ducks a day and has even taken a few small dogs, reports Hetlaatste News.

Dutch divers reckon 'Big Mama', in the lake of a Centerparcs at Kempervennen, could be the world's biggest.

Remco Visser, head of a Dutch diving school which uses the lake for practice dives, said the fish had scared a number of divers.

But he added: "They don't have to worry because catfish don't eat humans. Most of the ducks have moved to another lake but visiting ducks, who don't know there is a catfish in the water, get caught."

Centerparcs guards patrol the lake to keep away fishermen who have been trying to climb over the fences at night to catch Big Mama.

Biologist Jean Henkes, of Centerparcs, added: "The catfish has grown so big because of the excellent water quality, enough food and rest."

v6cod

Living in Okcular
A Fishy Tail
jcrian said:
Dutch divers reckon 'Big Mama', in the lake of a Centerparcs at Kempervennen, could be the world's biggest.

The biggest recorded catfish was 3meters long and weighed around 440lbs from the Danube in Romania.

NERD bit over :kafa:

Andy

A Fishy Tail
I take it your a Fisherman with a name like V6COD.

So you should know what the biggest line caught cod is.

Andy

v6cod

Living in Okcular
A Fishy Tail
:lol: In the UK it is

Boat 58-06-00 off Whitby, N. Yorkshire Noel Cook 1992
Shore 44-08-00 Tom's Point, Barry, Wales B Jones 1966

Yes I am a fisherman as well.

My login name derives from the fact I drive a V6 Alfa Romeo and my surname is Codling.

I used to do a lot of fishing out of Dover and caught my fair share of Cod. You can't beat the taste of fresh cod caught the same day. Tastes nothing like the stuff you get from the chippie.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom