wrampling

a couple of questions please
Good Morning
I have a couple more quetions if anyone can help me please
1.will we have a lot of problems in the shops , garages, doctors hospitals etc, if we do not speak the language, obviuosly we will tryto learn it but i believe it is very hard so it could take a while
2. i have been told unless we speak the lauguage well if we should need a doctor or the hospital we will struggle big time as they do not tend to speak any english
3. is heath treatment very expensive, would it be better to get private heath insurance to cover ourselves, obviously as we all get older the body starts to play up a bit,
4. been told must be very aware of the religion , obviously we know it is a muslem country but are we ok just doing our own thing, we would never go out to offend anyone, everyone to there own, we just dont want to part of the religion
5. anyone heard of the granson rule, something to do with no other parties interested in the land your property is on and has no notices, if anyone could explain this in ABC baby language we would be most grateful

Mnay thanks
Ann

juco

I have a couple more quetions if anyone can help me please
1.will we have a lot of problems in the shops , garages, doctors hospitals etc, if we do not speak the language, obviuosly we will tryto learn it but i believe it is very hard so it could take a while........Not a problem
2. i have been told unless we speak the lauguage well if we should need a doctor or the hospital we will struggle big time as they do not tend to speak any english....Not too sure but others have managed
3. is heath treatment very expensive, would it be better to get private heath insurance to cover ourselves, obviously as we all get older the body starts to play up a bit,...Others might best to answer this.
4. been told must be very aware of the religion , obviously we know it is a muslem country but are we ok just doing our own thing, we would never go out to offend anyone, everyone to there own, we just dont want to part of the religion.......You should be ok, just dont offend their religion.
5. anyone heard of the granson rule, something to do with no other parties interested in the land your property is on and has no notices, if anyone could explain this in ABC baby language we would be most grateful..Not sure what you mean but checks can be done on your property to make sure no debts etc.

Hi Guys,

We do not speak Turkish apart from the usual hellos, goodbyes, thank yous and such like. We find in most shops in the resorts they speak english. On the One occasion the lady didn't she phoned a friend who translated for us. Odd but true. Andrew finds sign language works well. Watching him buy stuff is like watching a game of charades but it works for him!!!

Must admit that the only dealings we have had with a doctor, we did have a turkish lady with us but he had a receptionist who spoke a little english.

With a little thought the religion thing should not be an issue. We have muslem friends so have bit of an understanding but if you do google the aspects that you may have worries about you should be OK. Although they don't celebrate our christmas, you will find decorations up and Christmas dinners to be had in many restaraunts as an example. So the turkish will also accomodate other religions in our experience anyway. If you get the chance, have a read of the Koran. (Qur'an)

Have heard some distressing stories about people ending up with huge hospital bills so I would have thought Health insurance is a must. Use the search box at the top of the page and most if not all of your questions should be answered.

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
1. Luckily for the Brits, many Turkish people have gone out of their way to learn English, so you shouldn't have many problems.
2. Can't answer regarding the doctors in Akbuk, but there are several doctors in Didim who speak English. For example, as well as being a GP, Dr Ersoy always works in the emergency dept of Didim Hospital.
3. Health treatment is expensive if you go to a private hospital (just like in the UK). If you use the teaching hospitals (there is one in Bodrum, one in Aydin), fees are heavily subsidised and therefore quite cheap. Health insurance is very expensive, but you should either have that or put aside a decent sum of money for healthcare.
4. You won't offend anyone religion-wise. Turks do not expect you to be a Muslim and many Turks do not go to the Mosque anyway.
5. No idea what you mean by 'Granson Rule'. But never part with cash for a property until a) your Solicitor has done a search to make sure there are no liens (debts) on the tapu b) the seller agrees to have a lien put on the property, c) your contract with the seller is notorised and d) that your solicitor puts a lien in your name on the property, so it can't be sold to anyone else while you are waiting for the military search to come back.

Maybe in a holiday resort where there is a big Brit community like Didim they speak English but I'd be in a mess without my (admittedly awful) Turkish here in Istanbul.

zurna

Maybe in a holiday resort where there is a big Brit community like Didim they speak English but I'd be in a mess without my (admittedly awful) Turkish here in Istanbul.

it is very interesting in Istanbul almost all business places want successful IELTS or TOEFL who application for a job.
Where about istanbul?

hijo

in my own clique
.. i don,t have a health cover..i did have quotes running into 1,000£ a year ..on a couple of occasions .we have had to visit the goverment hospital..(well my family when they come over) ..as i am registered there..as is my wife..for instance my daughter in-law had a threatening misscarriage a couple of years ago ..we rushed her by taxi to the local hastane,,were she was given scans ,blood test,steriods..and other medication ..and was seen promptly .luckily mother and baby was well, the total bill for that was 30 lira,and initally getting registered with the hospital wa also around 30 lira..if we had any serious problems and i could walk, i would get over to samos (europe) and use my equivelant to the e111 ..ps the more i hear about the goverment hospitals the more i like them ..as they are spotless ..not like some of the private ones around our area..

panther

.. i don,t have a health cover..i did have quotes running into 1,000£ a year ..on a couple of occasions .we have had to visit the goverment hospital..(well my family when they come over) ..as i am registered there..as is my wife..for instance my daughter in-law had a threatening misscarriage a couple of years ago ..we rushed her by taxi to the local hastane,,were she was given scans ,blood test,steriods..and other medication ..and was seen promptly .luckily mother and baby was well, the total bill for that was 30 lira,and initally getting registered with the hospital wa also around 30 lira..if we had any serious problems and i could walk, i would get over to samos (europe) and use my equivelant to the e111 ..ps the more i hear about the goverment hospitals the more i like them ..as they are spotless ..not like some of the private ones around our area..

Hijo: Is that the government hospital opposite the bus station in Didim pls.

Stop the turkish tapu scandals Petition

Last edited:

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Hijo
What do you mean by getting registered at the hospital ?
I suppose that is something for residents ?

L

les&Tasha

wrampling,

I strongly suggest you get to know Turkey better before you purchase a property. You need to find out if you enjoy your chosen destination in Turkey before you jump in and buy. Spend several vacations staying there or if you are able, go and live there. You can rent an apartment for ytl 500 - 800 pm (£250 - £400pm) If you sign an annual agreement you are spending less than £5000 a year.

If you have made the right decision and come to love Turkey then take a good long look around and buy a resale. Your experience will have answered all your questions. The knowledge you gained on the local property market will more than recoup your outlay on rent.

If you find life in Turkey is not for you then it is easy to come home and you have lost very little. On the other hand if you have bought a new build at inflated prices you will lose a substantial chunk of your capital (30%), if you sell up and come home. Or find yourself stuck with a holiday home you no longer want.

Les

hijo

in my own clique
Hijo
What do you mean by getting registered at the hospital ?
I suppose that is something for residents ?

..we just took our passports .for id ..as our visiting family did..panther our hastane is in kusadasi ..but there will be one in didim...:robot:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom