Status
Not open for further replies.

ipek park

65 and over barred from Turkish bank
Today is my 65 birthday, my husband and I live in Side, and today was our monthly bank day. Garanti bank sets the date for us, when we arrived today, security and the manager would not let us in. We were told to go back to the hotel (we told them we live here), have had an account with them for the last 12 years, and showed them our bank card, passport, residents visa etc. But still no access even into the bank. They said we must give someone permission in Turkish writing to get our money out. This was all explained to us by a stranger, in the queue outside the bank. He offered to helped us, which he did, it was a leap of faith!!! Finally after being outside the bank for two and a half hours, he got the money for us. A big thanks to the stranger, but not the bank for this diabolical service. PS his name was Hakkan.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Happy birthday Ipek. Was this because you are 65 years old and not allowed to leave your house?

shash

shash
I thought you had to have special permission ticket from the authorities to be able to go to the bank, pharmacy and shopping. You need to get up to date information for your own benefit as well as others benefit.

shash

shash
Ipek read the coronavirus pages. There are updates you possibly need to know on there. One update has just been posted and it refers also to over 65's.

REDDERS

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Today is my 65 birthday, my husband and I live in Side, and today was our monthly bank day. Garanti bank sets the date for us, when we arrived today, security and the manager would not let us in. We were told to go back to the hotel (we told them we live here), have had an account with them for the last 12 years, and showed them our bank card, passport, residents visa etc. But still no access even into the bank. They said we must give someone permission in Turkish writing to get our money out. This was all explained to us by a stranger, in the queue outside the bank. He offered to helped us, which he did, it was a leap of faith!!! Finally after being outside the bank for two and a half hours, he got the money for us. A big thanks to the stranger, but not the bank for this diabolical service. PS his name was Hakkan.

Did you not get your sms from the bank telling you to use the cash machines because they did not want to risk the safety of there staff ,and the withdrawal limits have been risen. I think it is to do with that rather than your age. I was taken to the bank today because the chip has gone no problem on entry what so ever.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Surely everyone knows about the over 65's situation that came as law on Saturday at midnight. You're HOUSEBOUND,no if's or buts. Should you wish to leave your property..read this article fully,it explains what you need to do .

https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/expat-corner/corona-curfew-in-turkey-a-guideline-for-the-elderly-chronically-ill?fbclid=IwAR0OxbOZVKmfmW57OTGRuy9f6OF-fUXpCUe-0AF6C3H6lG-LDRRXDAIOPIo

It's ok saying family and friends can get things ,but thats always possible. It will make a lot of stress for a lot of people.especially if the telephone system does not work right .

bickern

There is such a thing as telephone and email, and if you have banked with Garanti for 12 years you should have them for your branch and advisor/account manager.

As said you should also be aware that no charges are being made even for using a competitor ATM; the daily withdrawal limit has also been raised.

Someone not keeping themselves informed over these difficult times is hardly the banks fault.

ted j

As I've not had an email or text yet, anybody know what Denizbank daily limits are now please

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Ted, have you checked junk because Denizbank sent emails last week.

Yup, I got both SMS and email from Yapi Kredi.

As the article which REDDERS posted says:
https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/e...y-a-guideline-for-the-elderly-chronically-ill
"Undoubtedly, the biggest concern for newly homebound expats is how they will do their banking if the systems they have set up actually require their physical presence at the bank. In this case, the advice is to call your bank’s customer service and to follow the guidelines they present for your own personal situation and they will advise you on how to proceed."

ted j

Just managed to email Ertugrul at Denizbank, he confirmed the limit is 5000 lira

Kanga

I'd only handle bank notes with gloves, they can be grotty.
Is there any effort to try to reduce infection through ATMs? I think I read recently that some were spraying notes with disinfectant inside the machine, but not sure where this was.

ted j

Didim council were spraying the area around banks and ATMs and wiping all the keypads
Don't know about the notes

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
I'd only handle bank notes with gloves, they can be grotty.
Is there any effort to try to reduce infection through ATMs? I think I read recently that some were spraying notes with disinfectant inside the machine, but not sure where this was.

Before the ban i was spraying cologne on my notes . They are cleaning the out side of atms in Alanya. If you want to deposit i have seen them do it outside and put the money in an envelope and you sign the flap.Different banks different areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom