ceemac

Shake It Baby...
5 Reasons Not To Retire Abroad
This article is an attempt to bring a little balance to the commonly held perception that most of us (except Terry heheh), would leave the UK in a flash to live abroad.

It explains why living abroad is not for everyone and never is that more potentially true than if you're facing retirement.

C

hijo

in my own clique
..in comparison to the uk .:41:..i could,nt even come up with one let alone five...:bathbaby:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
They're a real "get up and go" bunch at Shelter Offshore. I'm surprised they even manage to get out of bed in the mornings, what with all the pitfalls they can see ahead of them.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
They're very pro moving and investing abroad actually - that is their raison d'ĂȘtre....

C

hijo

in my own clique
..exactly the uk would far sooner you have your assets there than another country..i know which i prefer and i did it...i am quite happy in living in a country,that has given me pleasure over 23years...jeeez i could,nt imagine retiring in the uk....for us turkey is the best place to be..no hustle and bustle ..very few rude people ,and in turkey i reckon with the healty foods and stress free it could add 10 years to your life..thats my opinion:bathbaby:

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
What a load of boring old F..ts. It is a new lease of life and challenging to move abroad. Where would we be if we all gave way to the cons. Of course there are many things to take into consideration but I am sure as a pensioner my quality of life in Turkey is better than I could get in the UK. I have seen the old peoples homes where they are all waiting for God - no thank you.

In a nutshell - what a load of rubbish.

I spent four years in the UK after taking early retirement and hated it, even with doing voluntary work I was bored and in the five months we have been in Turkey I love it.

The only negative thing I can think of is not having a car as they are so expensive but bikes are better for you and we may buy a quad bike if I could pluck up the courage to get on one.

You can talk to friends and family via video link on Skype, its only a 4 hour plane journey back to the UK and you get "holidays" when friends and family come out to see you.

Sue

pldouglas

Seems a sensible and well balanced article with plenty of sound advice. I think its a great idea for people to retire abroad - it stops our south coast here getting quite so over-crowded!
I think you would have to truly love another country before wanting to go and live there at any age. We enjoy extended holidays and traveling, but theres nothing like coming home.

But once you move abroad your new home is home.
I dont agree.
I think your home will always remain where you were born and raised and educated to adulthood and wherever I went,the UK would always remain my home.
I cannot think of any country I have visited where I wasnt ready to return home at the end of the visit and I have always felt like that!!
I am 63, enjoy where I live,my family and social life and am quite happy to retire here.
Why do I need a different environment abroad if I am content here??
Boredom after retirement could occur in any country and its usually of ones own making unless you fill your life with positive tasks.
Going up on Bluebell Hill in Kent on a quiet sunny day with my camera is sheer bliss and I can think of nowhere better or greener in ANY country.
I love visiting Turkey but at the same time I know where my heart says my home is.
If I can enjoy the benefits and sun in Turkey on occasions each year why should I need to move there??
Why should my quality of life be better in Turkey when its brilliant now??

I am not queueing up for an old peoples home or thinking that I am on my last legs.
Both me and my family are gym members here and my mum lived until 87 SO retirement here doesnt worry me at all.
I am certainly no boring old fart either but just a practical one at 63
If I am happy with the song,why change the tune at my age and whats the point??

Living near Pldouglas she has a point in her post.
The more that move abroad leaves our beautiful South East England less crowded which is great for us.
Each to their own I guess.

Last edited:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
'I am certainly no boring old fart either but just a practical one at 63'

So you're just a practical old fart then Terry? heheh

C

PMSL !!!
If you are up for a 58 mile bike ride or a few press ups feel free to join me mate!
Nice one
:gulme:

Pandora

Everyone has their different reasons for retiring.None of us if they have a close family want to leave them.But sometimes you have to make the decision however hard it may be.I have grandchildren like many of you and every weekend had them to stay.It was heartbreaking to leave them but I saw my husband getting more and more stressed in his job.He also had taken a active part in bringing all the granchildren up,but we had to make the choice when we got the chance.Now with skype I won,t say it gets easier being away from family but it is bearable until the next school holidays when we always go home to look after them.
Remember only boring people get bored
Chrissie

mollag

Kipper restorer
Gosh guys they missed out a few things, the adventure, the exitement the new experiences, all things valid in moving abroad.
Yes its a gamble and one should not gamble unless they can afford the loss, hence the rich bookies of the world.
Worse comes to worst we can use our poor language skills and return to Blighty as asylum seekers.

And boring, my oath! 3 years in Turkey and yet to be bored, not enough hours for me!

mikehibb

I think that a lot of the problems with people not settling in after they have bought their dream home in the sun is the fact that many have only experienced holidays abroad in the sun.
The realities of moving to a different country and having to pay the bills, local council tax etc are often forgotten. Then there is the language barrier for most too. These were not apparant when just on holiday for a few weeks in a hotel surrounded by others from the same country.
In my case I am an expat that has lived and worked in a few different countries over the last 14 years, only spend 10 day a year max in UK, so living foreign is normal for me.
Most of my colleagues (long term expats), have permanent houses in the Med area, we have no problems settling in as we are all used to it.
We have all had apartments where we work, we have to arrange for bills to be paid, buy cars locally and go through all the red tape in a foreign language. I can tell you Turkey is not the worst by far.
We are also used to finding new friends in our new locations, both expat and locals.

hijo

in my own clique
..yes but in reallity they still have to pay these utilities where ever you are ,except in turkey its considerably cheaper.personally i don,t pay any bills on 2 properties here .the bank interest pays it for me .i could,nt do that in the uk..but alas i know the bubble will burst one day ..especially if turkey(god forbid) goes into the EU:hearnoevi

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
We took early retirement from stressful jobs and thought long and hard about where to go. Our original choice was Greece but we finally plumped for Turkey. Regrets ? There are always regrets but are committed to our new life and will not move back to UK unless absolutely necessary.
Some people we know have had a two week holiday here then bought on a whim and lived to regret it. That I think is very stupid.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom