traveller

4-Fold Increase in "Yabanci" Residents
Quote....

"Foreigners in Fethiye, however, face many problems, the biggest being buying a house without a “tapu,” or residence permit. In the survey, they also complained about the slow bureaucracy and the limited number of government employees who can speak a foreign language." end quote.

Yes, well spotted KKOB. Perhaps they mean, half the properties people want to buy or did buy don't have tapu's. Now that really could be a problem.:hehe:

:slapme: Whoops, there's me getting all cynical again.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
I don't find many people complain about govt employees not speaking English. Most are just glad to find one that does.

ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
I think the writer's confused a Residence Permit with a Habitation Certificate.

Personally, I don't see why government employees should be expected to be able to speak English. Afterall, I doubt whether there are very many in England that speak Turkish.

Martyn

I don't think we are selling holiday homes to the Turks though and certainly not on the scale that Turkey are.

geordie_nev

Personally, I don't see why government employees should be expected to be able to speak English. After all, I doubt whether there are very many in England that speak Turkish.

Actually most, if not all, the government and council offices here where we live have Turkish speakers working in their offices.

There are at least two Turkish speakers in our local dole office, employed to help Turkish claimants. There are two Turkish teaching assistant at my kids school. I’m sure most of the council offices with have Turkish speakers and every leaflet and publication they produce is written in English, Turkish and Kurdish, as well as other languages.

The hospitals and police have Turkish translators if needed.

I’m sure most of the Turkish speakers (apart from the ones working at our school) are born in the UK with Turkish parents but they are employed to help the Turkish community.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Yes mate, and you being in London, I'm not surprised. But, I still wouldn't expect it to be the norm.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom