yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
33 years ago
33 years ago aged 16 I got my first weeks wages from lennons supermarket, It was the grand sum of £21.83
Some friends and I met at the Southern Hotel in Manchester for a beer, I remember buying 6 pints that night, it was 12 1/2p a pint in the room so we went in the vault where it was 11 1/2p a pint I also had 10 no 6 ciggies and got the bus home, all for a quid

That same pint of bitter is now around £2.60, thats a rise of 9 1/2 % per year.
To keep pace with that with my wages I would need to earn £477 per week as a 16 year old, and I dont see that !
I know that governments have nearly always put duty on beer, though I beleive that GB didnt for 8 years.
but each year I can remember the breweries putting up the price by more than inflation, we now have traditional pubs closing at a massive rate.

have they been greedy, do they need to change their business model or does it actually suit them ?

Anyway I am off to the pub now ! it closes for good in about 2 weeks !

martin

bickern

33 years ago
in 1974 when I left school it was 16p for a pint of Tetleys Bitter, funny how things stick in your head.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
33 years ago
I remember that petrol was 33p a gallon in 1974.

Coming back from holiday in Cornwall with my girlfriend we stopped at a petrol station in Dorking, on the way to Maidstone ( there was no M25 in those days), and scraped together our last 36p to spend on petrol.

Boddington's eh ? Or Manchester Fighting Water as it was also known. I was their Distribution Manager from 1989 to 1991.

Last edited:

Martyn

33 years ago
I left school in April 1966. My first wage was £5 3s 0d and I took home £4 14s 6d. In those days you could buy a 45 record for 6s 8d so 3 records for £1.

pebble

33 years ago
my first job was in 74, i was a translator and telex operator in a shipping agency. I made roughly 150 dollars a month, which was a hell of a lot more than our maid made. but it was grand for me. the first thing i bought were 2 pairs of shoes. a pair of green suede loafers and a pair of purple shoes. but i still had a lot of money left over............

carolk

R.I.P
33 years ago
Thats nearer my time Martyn, My first wage was £5.00. I thought I was rich!!!

With my first pay I bought a shift dress for 19 shillings and 99d.

Last edited:

Martyn

33 years ago
Yes Carol, first wage packet was wonderful. Had to give my mum £2 50d though, I was the oldest of 5 in a single parent family. We were really poor :boohoo:

Last edited:

carolk

R.I.P
33 years ago
So did I Martyn!!!!! I was the eldest of four, my mam and dad had just divorced!! I was supposed to go to art school, had my place and couldn't go, had to get a job!!!

We were poorer than you!!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
33 years ago
we were on boddingtons then which was cheap !

martin

Yep I was a Boddies child too, have to admit have more expensive taste in drinks now, can't stand bitter, cos it's not like the good ole Boddies. I was a junior in the Civil Service and earned the princely sum of £18 a week!!!. Just about buys my bottle of Bombay Gin at todays rate, lol.

Martyn

33 years ago
So did I Martyn!!!!! I was the eldest of four, my mam and dad had just divorced!! I was supposed to go to art school, had my place and couldn't go, had to get a job!!!

We were poorer than you!!

Luxury, we couldn't even afford a divorce, he just cleared off when I was 11 . :)

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
33 years ago
33 years ago i was a 15 year old kid, just left school and about to join the army to serve queen and country as a boy soldier, if my memory serves me right i was earning around 45 quid a week... yeah, the wages were poor then and still are now, nothing has changed in that respect.
Didn't have my first official beer for another 2 years later in Germany McEwans Export was my tipple at 1DM per can ( approx 50pence at the time).

Alan.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
33 years ago
45 quid a week!!! you were in the higher tax bracket earner Alan, lol. My measley £18 a week, as a 20 year old Civil Servant serving our Government of that time sounds like peanuts, suppose it was, but I had to start at the bottom rung of the ladder

Last edited by a moderator:

carolk

R.I.P
33 years ago
Right. We were so poor:

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night,
half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump
of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill
owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home,
our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves
singing "Hallelujah." Lol

From Monty Python of course - beat that Martyn!!!

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
33 years ago
It would look that way sunny, but my food and board came out of that 45 quid, at the end of the week i was left with approx 25 quid :) lol.

Martyn

33 years ago
Right. We were so poor:

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night,
half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump
of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill
owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home,
our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves
singing "Hallelujah." Lol

From Monty Python of course - beat that Martyn!!!

Yes remember that. Hand full of gravel for breakfast. :)

maggie

33 years ago
When I left school in 1968 my first job was a technical librarian and I earnt £7 and 7 shillings a week.
I gave my Mum £2.5 shillings housekeeping money.
Bought stockings,nail varnish a nite out at the local hop and still had money to spare.

With my first weeks wages I bought a pair of Scholl exercise sandals £2 19 shillings and 11 pence.I still have those sandals.
Sunday afternoon pictures used to 2shillings and 6 pence you went in at half two and stayed and watched the film twice leaving at ten for the 2pence bus ride home (5miles)
Occasionally we were naughty and had a half of taunton cider in the local pub before catching the bus pricely sum of 1 shilling.

Aww the gud ole days eh.!!!!!!Hugs Maggie xxx

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
33 years ago
It would look that way sunny, but my food and board came out of that 45 quid, at the end of the week i was left with approx 25 quid :) lol.

Awww, I'll let you off, my rent for my flat etc came out of mine and I remember coppering up for my Boddies and fag fix, lol. They were great times though, I did part-time bar work to help me, wouldn't have changed it for the world. We had nowt, but a damn good time. Kids today eh, if only they knew what hard times our generation had to live by.

:hehe::hehe:

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
33 years ago
Kids today don't know the value of money.. they have the bank of mum and dad to fall back on and treat home like a hotel. My 20 year old daughter has become more like a lodger, being a part time student and part time worker she gets more cash than i did at her age when i was in service, and still comes to me for more, she has more of an active social live than i ever had..!
They don't know how lucky they are..
When i was a kid we didn't have a telly til i was 9 years old and that was a little black and white one paid for on the never never. Lol.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom