EVELYNNE

evelynne
20yrs since the bombing of the Royal Marines Barracks at Deal
This weekend Deal in Kent will once again host the memorial of the Bombing of their barracks at Deal on the 22nd September 1989 by the IRA.

Below is an extract from the memorial magazine:

Friday 22nd SEptember 1989, it was 8.25am on the morning of this fateful day that members of the staff band of the Royal Marines School of Music were chatting, drinking coffee, and generally preparing themselves in the Recreation room prior to assembling on the parade ground for a rehearsal of the ceremonial presentations to be given during the folllowing week. Without any notice a massive explosionoccurred within the recreation room , the blast blew out the walls causing the solid concrete roof to fall on those within the building. An immediate operation to rescue those inside the building was put into gear by RM personnal and the civil authorities.
At first it was thought that the explosion had occurred in the nearby boiler room but this was quickly ruled out. The IRA subsequently admitted responsibilty for planting a bomb in the barracks.
It was revealed later that day that 10 members of the Staff Band had been killed by the explosion with many more badly injured including a civilian workman and a cleaner who was an ex bugler. A month later one of the injured musicians died bringing the total members of the band murdered by the IRA to 11.

Seven days later on a sunny autumnal morning the entire personaael of the RM school of music including wrens and naval nursing officers marched through the crowded streets of deal behind a depleated Staff band with blank places in the ranks acting as a grim reminder of the disaster.

I remember that day so well, we were preparing to go to my husbands family in Worcestershire and while we were packing the car all we could here and see out on the main road were sirens police cars, ambulances fire engines streaming towards Deal. We put the radio to here the terrible news. We couldn;t understand why a small seaside town should be a target. That march a week later , although i couldn;t be there , it was beamed across the world and it showed the world that the people of South East Kent wouldn't give in to these evil people.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
My ex-father-in-law was a Royal Marine and had been based there several years prior to the explosion. In fact the first Mrs KKOB was born in the infirmary.

He took time off of work and travelled to Deal with several other former Royal Marines to attend the parade.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
As a former Royal Engineer, who served in N Ireland in an Infantry role and with bomb disposal, i have witness first hand bombings, shootings, bullying and assassinations by terrorist groups including the IRA, i spent time on patrols with Royal Marines and have been the target of bombings, shootings and mortar attacks and have been lucky to survive them all.
I remember the bombing of Deal quite well... i had visited the barracks several times while serving as a boy soldier in Dover's Old Park Barracks...
Such a tragedy as were all their atrocities... and a waste of human life..
and only 15Lbs of explosive to create such carnage.

Alan.

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Alan,

My father was in the Royal Engineers so we always had a close association with the armed forces. Isn;t it a small world , me coming and still living in Dover and you serving at Old PArk. Of coures you wouldn;t recognise it now, old park - part housing part industrial site and the Royal MArines Barracks at Deal turned into apartments. How times change.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Hi Evelynne,
It must be 23 or more years since i last visited Old Park Barracks... i remember my service there very well... Blashford Snell was my CO... i spent 16 months there training as a young soldier and a Combat Engineer...
I've not been to Dover in quite some time, i only live up the road in Maidstone, and i probably wouldn't recognise that let alone Old Park... lol.
I served in Germany for 4 years before the wall came down, before being posted to Maidstone in early May 82 just in time for the Falklands conflict.

Yes you're right.. it is a small world... like a lot of people my family too has a history of Military service... unfortunately my son doesn't see the attraction.

Alan.

pebble

It must have been one of those things that happend during my busy life working and being a mommy, that i dont remember hearing about this at all. Or maybe here the news coverage wasnt as spectacular as it would have been today.

What a terrible terrible, senseless tragedy, It really saddens me that people try to solve something with violence, when in fact, all it is is just desctruction. what sorrow......

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved with this tragedy, and it's more than just the families of members who died and were wounded, there are countless people, like the ones who have posted before me, the nameless, faceless strangers who have been touched with this kind of sorrow.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
I was brought up in Maidstone, lived not far from Invicta Park and used to get in there quite a bit with friends to use the facilities. Pool, assault course and ranges, gyms, running track, and of course the NAAFI.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
As i said earlier KKOB... it's a small world.. the barracks has change quite a bit since i was there... the entrance has moved the buildings have change and so on... and its relatively quiet these days with the forces being so busy abroad.
It seems we have things in common.

Peb, i used to know a guy who was faceless.... he got it burnt off on the Galahad.....no not Simon Weston, not a nice sight.... or was it meant as a metaphorical phrase..?

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
When I used to go in there security was almost no-existent. In fact I don't remember having to stop and show my pass more than a couple of times. I very often used to get in over or under the fence along Sandling Lane.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Tut Tut tut.. very naughty... now if I'd been on guard duty with my pick axe handle...!! well... but you're probably talking about before i was posted there, am i right..?

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Funnily enough that is how the two bombers got in the barracks they hired a cottage on the pretence of a fishing holdiay, which backed onto the barracks and they went over the wall to plant their bomb, but im sure no one would have thought that RM school of music to be a target for terrorism.

martin m

Hi all
Seems like a good time to remind anyone reading, that in the same year a young lance corporal of 2nd para was on guard in the early hours when he spotted two men behaving sus he challenged them and fired at them but missed.
he then had all the sleeping accomadation cleared just before two bombs exploded saving many lives,
BBC ON THIS DAY | 20 | 1989: IRA bombs Tern Hill barracks

Having been a member of the RGJ for 9 year, we had a lot of involvment with NI and the IRA, but i still prefer the stories with happy endings, having said that i also remember a lot of good people who died because if the IRA and hope Deals memorial service to 1989s victims is both good, and comforting,for all who attend.
martin:amen:

pebble

such heart warming stories and accounts of bravery.

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Yes you are so right alan, I'm so glad (hopefully) those days are behind us, they were so uncertain times, not knowing who to trust, not knowing where and when they were going to strike again.

I know we have the same kind of threats today from other sources, but im glad the IRA have disarmed and that phase of terrorism is over.

God bless all who have lost love ones from those terrible dark days.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
I'd like to think you're right Evelynne, those were dark days, and it would be nice to be able to trust everyone...
I know the article in the link is an old one but the point is that neither side has ever trusted the other and i doubt they ever will.

Protestants Doubt IRA Disarmament

As i know only too well, most terrorists don't wear a uniform...they come in all shapes sizes and colours... not all of them are male...and not all of them live abroad...as has proved in recent years.
My experiences have taught me, though it may be wrong, that trust is earned and is most importantly not given too readily.... look at Neville Chamberlain.. he trusted Hitler on the basis of a bit of paper... what happened there..?
I've come close to losing friends to terrorist actions... I live in hope that i don't see any more on our shores, but you can never tell.
Be careful out there..." eyes and ears " i used to be told and still live by that now... its hard to forget.
It is important to remember those who were victims and survivors of terrorist acts... i hope the memorial goes well the families and for all involved.

Alan.

EVELYNNE

evelynne
The memorial always attracts thousands of people as we donlt have the RM stationed in Deal now , so what was a weekly display of military marching has become a few and far between event. As well as remembering those that have fallen it is also a celebration of the great music of the military bands. I love to watch the marching bands such precision and always so professional. Only the Brirish can do that with such flair. I also feel so proud when I watch them and I always cry. the Music brings so much emotion. This year they will end the concert with the traditional land of hope and glory and rule britannia and with the croud standing and joining in they hope the sounds will reach the French coast which is 20 miles away.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Every year without failure i attend the Remembrance Day parade here in town... though each year the numbers get fewer... like you i love the sound of military music.. i watch Horse Guards without fail... it's a shame they did away with the Royal Tournament.

This article shows an event that happens all to often in this particular town... being close to RAF Lyneham where the fallen are flown back to.. what a fantastic thing these local people do as a sign of respect.

Wootton Bassett: town gathers for a solemn ritual that is all too familiar - Telegraph

Doesn't it make you feel proud..?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom