Mojive

Been there,done that!!
2021 Holiday Plans
We got them sitting over Bournemouth Airport parked up over 30 BA aeroplanes, hear them being fired up every week......I live just a few miles from the airport, its hard to describe how I feel when I hear them one minute I want to be boarding one getting the hell out of here, but then quickly realise there's really no where to go anyway!
Mo xx
1614151273780.png

Last edited:

Kanga

2021 Holiday Plans
Thanks for the video link, Mojive, it took up 20 mins of another lockdown day and we learned something.
Raining and blowing again here, getting desperate to get out for a walk.

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
With reference to the vaccination certificate idea to allow UK citizens to take holidays abroad later this year, my two daughters who are in their late 20's have put this point forward - If they are at the back of the queue for their two jabs and would not qualify for the certificate to travel until such time, and remembering that there are many thousands of potential travellers in their 20's and 30's, many married with young families, who would be barred whilst older travellers would be allowed to travel, would Boris allow this ageist policy?
Or, is it more likely that the system will only be able to function in the name of fairness, when all are fully vaccinated?

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
2021 Holiday Plans
I think it would be great to allow those of us who are of an age to have been vaccinated to go on holiday in a quiet and peaceful way. No little Olivers and Katies screaming and running up and down the aisles of the aircraft or kicking the seat in front. In economy class there is never enough room to store naughty children in the overhead lockers.
I think you have raised an interesting point Mushroom, certainly scope for discussion.

Martin

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
2021 Holiday Plans
With reference to the vaccination certificate idea to allow UK citizens to take holidays abroad later this year, my two daughters who are in their late 20's have put this point forward - If they are at the back of the queue for their two jabs and would not qualify for the certificate to travel until such time, and remembering that there are many thousands of potential travellers in their 20's and 30's, many married with young families, who would be barred whilst older travellers would be allowed to travel, would Boris allow this ageist policy?
Or, is it more likely that the system will only be able to function in the name of fairness, when all are fully vaccinated?
It sounds perfect to me, quiet flights..........

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
I think it would be great to allow those of us who are of an age to have been vaccinated to go on holiday in a quiet and peaceful way. No little Olivers and Katies screaming and running up and down the aisles of the aircraft or kicking the seat in front. In economy class there is never enough room to store naughty children in the overhead lockers.
I think you have raised an interesting point Mushroom, certainly scope for discussion.

Martin
I would be devils advocate and think that the idea of having the certificate prior to travel would be an ideal way to knock back the May 17th travel date by the back door.
There are many who would pay a premium to avoid little Barnsley and Chantellette on a flight though.

Kanga

2021 Holiday Plans
I would be devils advocate and think that the idea of having the certificate prior to travel would be an ideal way to knock back the May 17th travel date by the back door.
There are many who would pay a premium to avoid little Barnsley and Chantellette on a flight though.
The sensible answer is to apply some commonsense and get international agreement to exempt all passengers born after a set agreed date (say 1/1/71) to avoid penalising younger travellers, and simply ask for a negative test taken in the past 72hrs before travel. The date could move forward every year to align with age 50, or whatever is the current youngest for a jab.
I also disagree with calling them a vaccine passport. It isn't. It's a vaccination certificate. We all had them in childhood from polio, diphtheria and tb jabs. The 'passport' thing is an emotional irrelevance. Why is a certificate a breach of privacy/access to your medical records? If 'man' can get to the moon I'm sure we can manage to issue a satisfactory certificate.
When I qualified to teach many years ago we had to have a TB test and a chest Xray before we were let loose in a school. Anyone who works in pest control, sewage works etc has to have several jabs against hepatitis etc.
Who would refuse a tetanus injection after a nasty wound?
We also had to have a medical and a hepatitis jab before we could do the PADI diving course, and paid the GP for it and a certificate.

Saoirse

2021 Holiday Plans
With the main resorts for UK visitors being in Mugla and Antalya its going to be tricky for them to be open for bars and restaurants given neither province is opening under the new rules

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
2021 Holiday Plans

I took a punt against my better judgement and booked flights with easyjet to Kos toward the end of August, my plan is to come back (if we actually get there) and have my 2nd knee replacement in September, I think there is more chance in August than the other trip we have planned for June.

enoch

2021 Holiday Plans
With the main resorts for UK visitors being in Mugla and Antalya its going to be tricky for them to be open for bars and restaurants given neither province is opening under the new rules
Something is going to have to change because the numbers are still going up.

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
The latest from Ursula Van der Leyen and the EU bunch is that she is hoping to have 70% of the EU population vaccinated by Mid-September. Problem is - the EU is not being very efficient and whilst the likes of Greece, who is a very tourist dependent country has made it's own decision to accept tourists from the UK who are either vaccinated or have had a recent negative Covid test, they might find themselves at odds with the EU hierarchy which means there might only be one winner.
It is quite possible that most UK citizens will be vaccinated (two jabs) by September but the inefficiency of the EU rollout could still result in the refusal to accept UK citizens, the rationale being that you can still carry the virus after vaccination whilst not suffering the symptoms.
How this would work out in Turkey, I do not know.

esb1841

2021 Holiday Plans
The sensible answer is to apply some commonsense and get international agreement to exempt all passengers born after a set agreed date (say 1/1/71) to avoid penalising younger travellers, and simply ask for a negative test taken in the past 72hrs before travel. The date could move forward every year to align with age 50, or whatever is the current youngest for a jab.
I also disagree with calling them a vaccine passport. It isn't. It's a vaccination certificate. We all had them in childhood from polio, diphtheria and tb jabs. The 'passport' thing is an emotional irrelevance. Why is a certificate a breach of privacy/access to your medical records? If 'man' can get to the moon I'm sure we can manage to issue a satisfactory certificate.
When I qualified to teach many years ago we had to have a TB test and a chest Xray before we were let loose in a school. Anyone who works in pest control, sewage works etc has to have several jabs against hepatitis etc.
Who would refuse a tetanus injection after a nasty wound?
We also had to have a medical and a hepatitis jab before we could do the PADI diving course, and paid the GP for it and a certificate.
I suspect it will be almost impossible to get international agreement to exempt all passengers born after a set date as some of those will have refused to take the vaccine.
and then there are countries that are stating
France’s secretary of state for European affairs, Clément Beaune, told Franceinfo news channel on January 17 that the government was “very reluctant” to introduce vaccination passports. He said it would not support a programme that would give rights to some people and not others.

Although I suspect countries that rely on Tourism may introduce rules such as no vaccine no entry

Kanga

2021 Holiday Plans
I suspect it will be almost impossible to get international agreement to exempt all passengers born after a set date as some of those will have refused to take the vaccine.
and then there are countries that are stating
France’s secretary of state for European affairs, Clément Beaune, told Franceinfo news channel on January 17 that the government was “very reluctant” to introduce vaccination passports. He said it would not support a programme that would give rights to some people and not others.

Although I suspect countries that rely on Tourism may introduce rules such as no vaccine no entry
I suggested the current minimum age for UK vaccination. The news today says that the 40s will soon be offered vaccination, so my suggestion would only apply to those BELOW the age at which it's offered. They cannot decline what's not on offer.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom