Akasya

Postless Pointer
2021 Holiday Plans
Just chatting with a mate who lives in Yalikavak, he is anticipating a large efes to cost around 35 to 40 Tl as and when, due to exchange rates, new taxes etc, that's about £4 a pint, for those out there is that likely? what's the cost in the markets?
Expensive pi$$
Steve

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
I was reading that the desperation to open the economy would see the infection rate climb again but the hospitalisation and death rates fall due to the vaccination program, so might depend on if Boris listens to the science or the big businesses clamouring to get going again.
Another thing to consider is the airport infrastructure. Did they retain staff for instance, will those staff need the regulatory ongoing training etc, will there be enough pilots with the required flying hours just to get behind the joystick ?
As an aside, one of the Greek Islands in our plan for June started its vaccination program on Friday, it will be finished by Tuesday, from our point it will be a bonus if we go anywhere in June, maybe even a miracle
I can only quote my next door neighbour, Jet2 Captain, who says she has used the simulator which is located at a unit by the side of the M606 at Bradford only twice in the last 4 months. I hope that frequency is increased for as and when they do finally get the nod to return to work because she hasn't flown the real thing for nearly a year now and that doesn't inspire.
I then wonder what maintenance the planes need after being parked up for so long?
Finally, about a third of the airport staff were laid off from that crap hole known as Leeds/Bradford airport last year. I am sure they can be replaced when required, but if they weren't previous employees, they would need to be trained up for their roles, but nobody can be sure when they will be required.
I am sure all the other UK airports and staff have the same predicaments.

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
Rumours are suggesting that the ban on international travel will be relaxed on May 17th. .
Kanga. It's a Boris play with words. 17th May AT THE EARLIEST. That could mean October !!
I think 35+chips has already said, it will only take another variant from somewhere and all approximate dates are off the table.

j in bo

2021 Holiday Plans
Rumours are suggesting that the ban on international travel will be relaxed on May 17th. .
Excellent, still think, it may be possible for our first flights, 30 April. Still may have to move it a couple of weeks, although booked again for May 28.

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
Excellent, still think, it may be possible for our first flights, 30 April. Still may have to move it a couple of weeks, although booked again for May 28.
You've got me puzzled. You think you still might make the 30th April flight when Boris has said No flights until 17th May at the earliest?? Wakey wakey.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
2021 Holiday Plans
Theresa May challenged Johnson in Parliament today. Stating airports would need 3 months to prepare, you can't just go to an agency and employ ready skilled staff, they all have to go through ongoing and constant training. It's a logistical nightmare

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
2021 Holiday Plans
Theresa May challenged Johnson in Parliament today. Stating airports would need 3 months to prepare, you can't just go to an agency and employ ready skilled staff, they all have to go through ongoing and constant training. It's a logistical nightmare
So none of them were put on furlough?

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
2021 Holiday Plans

So none of them were put on furlough?
Some maybe, agency staff make up a large percentage of airport workers so I doubt it, there were many complaining of becoming jobless, they were simply let go, if they could get them back the retraining and refresher training is intense, we have worked in airports and the training before you start your job can take longer than the actual job, if you want more detail ask the chairs of airport authorities as they have been saying this for ages, which is where I guess TM has picked it up.

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans

Some maybe, agency staff make up a large percentage of airport workers so I doubt it, there were many complaining of becoming jobless, they were simply let go, if they could get them back the retraining and refresher training is intense, we have worked in airports and the training before you start your job can take longer than the actual job, if you want more detail ask the chairs of airport authorities as they have been saying this for ages, which is where I guess TM has picked it up.
Not forgetting the security checks.

Kanga

2021 Holiday Plans
Pity she wasn't so farsighted when she was PM.

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
There appears to be a war against alcohol, Turkey expensive, Scotland put on minimum price plus uk pubs all but closed for maybe months to come.
There is no war against alcohol in UK off licences and supermarkets. They have never done so well as in the last 12 months.
There has also been a shift for people to take their booze home at half the pub prices and that might not exactly encourage all and sundry to return to pubs in any great numbers as and when we are released again.
I think there will be the initial 'honeymoon' period where people go to the pubs just for the hell of it and then decide on the economics of cheaper booze to take home and of course you don't have to spend your drinking time in the presence of muppets.

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
The wee Kranky and the Welsh first minister think that Boris might have us coming out of lockdown a bit too early and he normally does as she suggests.
The other problem is that there is talk of travellers needing Vaccination certificates then an up to date Covid test BEFORE being able to travel abroad.
So, to work out if you are eligible, first work out when you had/are having your first jab, then move on 12 weeks and hope it's given on time, then add 3 weeks for maximum protection and then you should be able to go abroad after a test within 72 hours of a negative test and in any case not before 17th May AT THE EARLIEST.
On the other hand, he who combs his hair with a toffee apple decides that there is a reason to alter the May date to a later one and all your plans go astray.

Saoirse

2021 Holiday Plans
I reckon you're being overly pessimistic
I think there will be late summer overseas holidays across Europe this year

Last edited:

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
Just realistic. I won't shell out a penny until it's confirmed and guaranteed that travel is on again.
That means if things get shelved again and the moaning begins, I can say it hasn't bothered me.
Late summer is September in my books.
Quite possible but not yet a cert.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom