j in bo

2021 Holiday Plans
I wondered, what plans readers had for holidays this year and reporting back on their experience. Hopefully helping others to assess options open to them.

The wife and I, are booked for Bodrum for a week from 30 April. Easyjet flights rolled over from last year.
We are in group 8&9 for vaccine hoping end of March.

Also booked for end of May, with extended family including my 87 year old mother.

Fingers crossed for both of these.

JnJ

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
I wondered, what plans readers had for holidays this year and reporting back on their experience. Hopefully helping others to assess options open to them.

The wife and I, are booked for Bodrum for a week from 30 April. Easyjet flights rolled over from last year.
We are in group 8&9 for vaccine hoping end of March.

Also booked for end of May, with extended family including my 87 year old mother.

Fingers crossed for both of these.

JnJ
Sorry to sound like the Devils advocate but personally I would be surprised if you get there before Autumn.
If you do get vaccines by the end of March, you won't get your second until the end of June. Add 2-3 weeks for the immunisation to be fully effective and that tales you to mid to late July, if all works to plan.
For the vaccine to be fully effective and assuming there is not the introduction of other strains less effective, at best the protection is to about 8 out of10 of those given it.
You need to have a crystal ball to know what the infection levels and vaccination roll out is in Turkey this year because if the FCO says don't travel, you will have no travel insurance cover.
Based on all that, we would like to get back out in Autumn but have a plan B for a cottage in Northumberland and won't be shelling out a penny until all is sorted.
Sorry if it sounds pessimistic but that is the reality as we see it.

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
2021 Holiday Plans
Sorry to sound like the Devils advocate but personally I would be surprised if you get there before Autumn.
If you do get vaccines by the end of March, you won't get your second until the end of June. Add 2-3 weeks for the immunisation to be fully effective and that tales you to mid to late July, if all works to plan.
For the vaccine to be fully effective and assuming there is not the introduction of other strains less effective, at best the protection is to about 8 out of10 of those given it.
You need to have a crystal ball to know what the infection levels and vaccination roll out is in Turkey this year because if the FCO says don't travel, you will have no travel insurance cover.
Based on all that, we would like to get back out in Autumn but have a plan B for a cottage in Northumberland and won't be shelling out a penny until all is sorted.
Sorry if it sounds pessimistic but that is the reality as we see it.
Surely that can't be right- 3 months between jabs????

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
2021 Holiday Plans
Got Easyjet flights booked for the end of June to Kos, then accommodation booked on some Greek Islands, the flights we will move on if we have to but the accommodation is booked on a last minute cancellation basis, we may both get both our jabs and be able to do our 21 days before we go, then it depends on the Greeks as to where they are up to, they may not want us.
The difficulty we are finding is for a holiday later in the year or early next year, many of the places we would visit are fully booked with bookings moved from this year and last year.

Martin

2021 Holiday Plans
Hi, moved our roll over flight from 2019 from April this year to October. We have another in May, but can’t see any chance of that one happening! Fingers crossed for July, but again this is in doubt. Wife (Nurse) has had her first vaccine and yes the second will be 3 months after the first. Waiting for my date, the vaccine rollout is going well and hope to get it by the end of March. I read that in Turkey the vaccine being used is from China and at the moment health workers are rightly first in the queue?

Kanga

2021 Holiday Plans
Turkey has not been accepting travellers from UK at the moment and no hint of a date to change it. We are pariahs together with S America and a couple of other places. Ironic really considering our vaccination programme success.

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
I think what might be putting the authorities off, despite our vaccination success is that the typical Boozy Brit abroad will not be vaccinated for some weeks with the first jab and because of our extended delay of 3 months they are quite rightly being cautious.
It might be a bit insulting for the well behaved and vaccinated tourist who abides by the rules who could in theory be heading out within a couple of months, but there aren't as many over 80's keen to get to Turkey as there are muppets in the 20-35 bracket who are historically non-conformers in the UK let alone abroad.
By the way, I think it is Pfizer who have not only covered their backs by stating that the vaccine had only been trialed with a 3 week interval between jabs to assess its effectiveness, but have since added that they would not recommend a gap of more than 6 weeks between jabs, not the 12-14 weeks we are looking at in the UK. Are they aware that the effectiveness reduces with such a large gap?

ScoobyZ

2021 Holiday Plans
I'm booked for end of May and August/Sept.

I don't think the travel industry (especially airlines) can cope with another year of cancellations.

Kanga

2021 Holiday Plans
I think what might be putting the authorities off, despite our vaccination success is that the typical Boozy Brit abroad will not be vaccinated for some weeks with the first jab and because of our extended delay of 3 months they are quite rightly being cautious.
It might be a bit insulting for the well behaved and vaccinated tourist who abides by the rules who could in theory be heading out within a couple of months, but there aren't as many over 80's keen to get to Turkey as there are muppets in the 20-35 bracket who are historically non-conformers in the UK let alone abroad.
By the way, I think it is Pfizer who have not only covered their backs by stating that the vaccine had only been trialed with a 3 week interval between jabs to assess its effectiveness, but have since added that they would not recommend a gap of more than 6 weeks between jabs, not the 12-14 weeks we are looking at in the UK. Are they aware that the effectiveness reduces with such a large gap?
With respect it's a max 12 weeks, and agreed that extending from 3 to 12 allows the body more time to build immunity. This virus has been with us for about 14 months now, vaccines for less than 6 months, talk about learning on the job. They are doing their best.
The problem will come when the > 50s are all vaccinated, and whooping it up across the globe, but the under 50s are not, being below the minimum age for a jab, unless vulnerable. At that point there will be all hell let loose because inevitably some countries will want a vaccination certificate, leaving' boozy' <50s in limbo all through the summer. The holiday companies and airlines will have to sort that one out soon before there's a riot at some airport.
They also have to get some consistency across carriers. An acquaintance returned from a conference in Istanbul last week. THY accepted one type of test result on the way out, but the return flight had changed the requirement to a different test, and luckily she had time to get a new one, but quite a few passengers were refused boarding for the flight to London.

Last edited:

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
With respect it's a max 12 weeks, and agreed that extending from 3 to 12 allows the body more time to build immunity. This virus has been with us for about 14 months now, vaccines for less than 6 months, talk about learning on the job. They are doing their best.
The problem will come when the > 50s are all vaccinated, and whooping it up across the globe, but the under 50s are not, being below the minimum age for a jab, unless vulnerable. At that point there will be all hell let loose because inevitably some countries will want a vaccination certificate, leaving' boozy' <50s in limbo all through the summer. The holiday companies and airlines will have to sort that one out soon before there's a riot at some airport.
They also have to get some consistency across carriers. An acquaintance returned from a conference in Istanbul last week. THY accepted one type of test result on the way out, but the return flight had changed the requirement to a different test, and luckily she had time to get a new one, but quite a few passengers were refused boarding for the flight to London.
With respect, there are going to be people who will have to wait up to 14 weeks - I will toff my cap to your medical experience if you have any?
The immune system builds up for 3 weeks after the first jab and again for 3 weeks after the second one, hence the trials and the word of the producers not the 'scientists advising Boris' If you didn't know, immunisation reaches a peak and then tails off, just like the flu jab and just for good measure it does not give 100% protection to 100% of those who have had it.
We are likely to be having boosters by the end of the year.

j in bo

2021 Holiday Plans
I think we must remember last summer, it is clear that the virus loves the cold and dark. All summer the virus was at a very low and controllable levels. Remember the people shouting about the packed beaches in the Uk. Fact no increase in infections.
My hope is with the fast decreasing UK infection figures across the board, opening up across the UK, continuing decrease in cases. The European countries will be clamouring for the good old £ back in their tills. It won't be long.
I felt far safer sitting in a restaurant, bar or round the pool in the sunshine on our two trips to Turkey last year, than shopping or visiting a dark pub in the uk.
Pack those bags!

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
I think we must remember last summer, it is clear that the virus loves the cold and dark. All summer the virus was at a very low and controllable levels. Remember the people shouting about the packed beaches in the Uk. Fact no increase in infections.
My hope is with the fast decreasing UK infection figures across the board, opening up across the UK, continuing decrease in cases. The European countries will be clamouring for the good old £ back in their tills. It won't be long.
I felt far safer sitting in a restaurant, bar or round the pool in the sunshine on our two trips to Turkey last year, than shopping or visiting a dark pub in the uk.
Pack those bags!
You may be disappointed.

Hilsjw

2021 Holiday Plans
Kanga, you mentioned that Turkey will not accept British tourists at the moment. A couple of days ago a Turkish Airlines 'plane arrived here. How does that seem fair ?

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
2021 Holiday Plans
Kanga, you mentioned that Turkey will not accept British tourists at the moment. A couple of days ago a Turkish Airlines 'plane arrived here. How does that seem fair ?
As far as i can see flights are allowed from Turkey to the UK, but at the moment, no passengers on the way back to Turkey (possibly transit passengers who have not been in the UK as such).

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
2021 Holiday Plans
I wouldn't give up just yet re a holiday in Turkey
Long time till summer Vaccinations plan rolling out there at tremendous speed with one of the key groups being those in the hospitality sector Turkey wants to advocate " clean tourism" where they can say those who serve you in bars hotels etc are all guaranteed vaccinated It depends on UK more than Turkey as UK flights are virtually banned currently due to the English strain of the virus BUT with UK leading the pack in terms of vaccinations and Turkey wanting UK tourists maybe there could be a tie up there

Certainly Spain has already made it clear because of UK successful vaccination roll out their citizens will be welcome in Spain for hols

Mushroom

2021 Holiday Plans
I wouldn't give up just yet re a holiday in Turkey
Long time till summer Vaccinations plan rolling out there at tremendous speed with one of the key groups being those in the hospitality sector Turkey wants to advocate " clean tourism" where they can say those who serve you in bars hotels etc are all guaranteed vaccinated It depends on UK more than Turkey as UK flights are virtually banned currently due to the English strain of the virus BUT with UK leading the pack in terms of vaccinations and Turkey wanting UK tourists maybe there could be a tie up there

Certainly Spain has already made it clear because of UK successful vaccination roll out their citizens will be welcome in Spain for hols
Is Turkey following our model of two jabs and a gap of about 12 weeks between them or are they doing something else?
To calculate when you would be classed as having the optimum level of effectiveness in the UK it is about 3 weeks after the second jab.
It has already been declared that the vaccines are 'slightly' less effective against the new variants, whatever 'slightly' means.
I hate the expression of a risk assessment but this will be the case of the government before travel abroad is allowed, then the airports and airlines have to manage the risk.
I wouldn't be reassured by any country tendering for our dosh, especially the Spanish.
I'm still optimistic about a revisit in Autumn but not much sooner.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom