IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
10 Best Books
Some good books here, we have read several. We have the 'bastard of Istanbul' but I have not read it yet. I am currently reading Elif Shafak's 'The architect's apprentice'

shash

shash
10 Best Books
Just finished reading 'Dinner of herbs' by Carla Grissman. Lovely true story of when Carla stayed in a Turkish village 50 years ago knowing only one person. A few old photos too. The village miles from anywhere sees her experience Turkish village life. And all that goes with it.
Personally I was able to relate to quite a bit of it as I think many of you living in villages will be able to.
I got my copy from Ebay.

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
10 Best Books
I really enjoy Orhan Pamuk's books.
I read 'My name is Red' many years ago and on first reading, found it quite hard going. I've read it again a couple of times since then and everything seemed to fall into place and I found it great reading.

Some 16 years ago, my husband, his best buddy and I set off on one of our 3,000km loops around Turkey stopping off at Erzerum, Diyabakır, Nevşehir, Ani, Kars and Van amongst other places and it was a couple of years after that trip that, I first read 'Snow'. Easier reading than my name is Red, and I became a Pamuk convert.

Both these books remain on my shelves at home, only to be lent out to people that are guaranteed to let me have them back. :hippie:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
10 Best Books
Another that I would recommend, is 'Turkish reflections, a biography of a place' by Mary Lee Settle (Prentice Hall 1991)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom